Need recommendation on low power 24 port switch with 10gbe ports

pillagenburn

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, looking to upgrade my dell 2724 to a more modern lower power 24 port switch with 10gb uplinks. Rack mountable of course... I dont care if its surplus ebay stuff or whatever. Any suggestions?

Have in mind that MikroTik is cheap for a reason, the backend is quite a bit slower than more expensive models. Having a quick look at the forums it seems that you should be a bit careful about this switch as it lacks what you'd expect as basic functionality, if you're all fine with that I suppose it's an option.

Ive been using the MikroTik for a bit now, and I am very happy with it. I havent tried to max out all of the ports, but it is more than capable of handling all of the traffic i have put through it. I regularly get 4gbps+ throughputs to my NAS, which I expect is being limited by protocol processing, cache speed/amount, and drive throughput.

What basic functionality are you saying that it is lacking? Are you refering to the CTH post saying that it does not support 802.1ad LACP in hardware? That post was from Feb 2014, they added proper LACP support in version 6.15 (June 2014)

With the MikroTik CRS226, was it the best for a home setup as : if a NAS got a 2 10gb Nic card Intel X520 , 1 plug into a PC and 1 plug to the CRS. The switch will give 1 extra 10 gbe port for a second pc.. And for accessing internet, we could plug a cheap router as a TP-link router or Asus RT-N66u. I guess the MikroTik might not be efficient as a router and firewall wan control...

Could that be effective for the QOS ? or is the CRS226 handle well the QOS..

Or simply go with an unmanaged 8 port 10gbs.

I settled on a HP 1810-48g that i picked up on ebay for $100 ish. I figure 48 ports of gigabit should be good enough

With the MikroTik CRS226, was it the best for a home setup as : if a NAS got a 2 10gb Nic card Intel X520 , 1 plug into a PC and 1 plug to the CRS. The switch will give 1 extra 10 gbe port for a second pc.. And for accessing internet, we could plug a cheap router as a TP-link router or Asus RT-N66u. I guess the MikroTik might not be efficient as a router and firewall wan control...

Could that be effective for the QOS ? or is the CRS226 handle well the QOS..

Or simply go with an unmanaged 8 port 10gbs.

While yes, the CRS does have routing capabilities, it is all done in software. It has hardware based packet forwarding/switching, but no hardware based routing. As such, it would not handle any appreciable amount of traffic in NAT or QOS. It does however excel at switching.

I settled on a HP 1810-48g that i picked up on ebay for $100 ish. I figure 48 ports of gigabit should be good enough

Thats not a bad switch. I guess you decided to skip 10gbe for now? LAgP is a way to go if you want >1gbps on that switch.

I would strongly suggest you look at the Netgear s3300-28x. Phenomenal little switch with both copper and fiber 10g ports. I have one in my garage and I love it.

Back