Need Recommendation for Video Card(s) Upgrade at $500

Hiya,

I got 500 from a holiday party as a gift card, and I am looking to upgrade my GPUs in my PC again.

I am currently running 3240x1920 Eyefinity with dual Radeon 6970 2GB GPUs. I'd like to get one card that is as fast or faster than these two cards put together, or two GPUs that will be much faster than what I currently am running.

I am also looking to eliminate the issue with my 3rd monitor having vertical tearing, so ideally, I'd like all to be able to output to all 3 displays either via DisplayPort or via DVI, to eliminate the tearing once and for all.

I'm open to either one. I was looking at the Radeon R9 290, to unlock to the R9 290X, but it seems impossible to find those in stock. I eventually plan to sell off my two 6970s and then buy a second GPU, later on.

Any help / advice is immensely appreciated. Thanks :D

You should seriously consider a GTX780... With as many discounts that are flying around, you can find em less than $500 new...

All of the AMD cards were marked up by $100 because of the mining craze so etailers are punishing consumers who are gamers. The 290/x are still having some issues just like any new card has, but AMD along with AIB partners have been slow to correct them.

Smart decision is go single card . If you prefer to stick with AMD, you'll be waiting awhile until the markups disappear and frankly, it's really not worth the wait unless you are sold on mantle.

My opinion is, mantle is new anyways and needs a good year if not longer to get its bugs worked out. I've learned over the many years of these upgrade cycles, early adopters take it in the ass. Having the newest isn't always the best when plagued with problems.

Just adds more frustration when all you want to do is game and enjoy your investment .

I'm sitting here with dual 280s waiting to dump them. Originally it was for the 290s but I honestly think I'm going to pass until a refresh comes along. Secondly , Nvidia is looking more appetizing to me since I already own a few gsync upgradeable monitors.

I have loved the Radeon cards for many years but I feel AMD kinda fell short because of the holiday release, along with the battlefield 4 issues. It's clear everything was rushed and now with these ridiculous prices on their cards, it's turning a lot of us off. GTX780 for under $500 is a real value for even an AMD supporter... Those who can't admit it, just aren't being honest with themselves.

I was looking at the GTX 780. How is it compared to dual 6970?

I'm just afraid it might not have the oomph to drive all 3 displays... that is why I was ideally looking at the R9 290, and unlocking it to 290X, because I know that has more power than the 780. Waiting for stock doesn't bother me too much... unless it's going to be months.

Mantle is not playing a factor at all, tbh. Nor would G-sync / PhysX. G-Sync is all nice and dandy, but I don't feel like buying 3 new displays, not to mention it may not even work with Eyefinity / Surround.

I have not used nVidia GPUs in a while, to be honest... was very burned with the whole notebook debacle of 8600 GT / 7600 GT issues. Last one I had was an 8800 GT that has had to be reflowed. I was given a GTX 260 by a co-worker but I have not even really used it other than the Windows Desktop.

TBH, I wish I could find some reviews of it that show the older generations against the latest and greatest. :>

The 290/x are still having some issues just like any new card has,

Really? I have had no issues with my 290..

Hiya,

I got 500 from a holiday party as a gift card, and I am looking to upgrade my GPUs in my PC again.

I am currently running 3240x1920 Eyefinity with dual Radeon 6970 2GB GPUs. I'd like to get one card that is as fast or faster than these two cards put together, or two GPUs that will be much faster than what I currently am running.

I am also looking to eliminate the issue with my 3rd monitor having vertical tearing, so ideally, I'd like all to be able to output to all 3 displays either via DisplayPort or via DVI, to eliminate the tearing once and for all.

I'm open to either one. I was looking at the Radeon R9 290, to unlock to the R9 290X, but it seems impossible to find those in stock. I eventually plan to sell off my two 6970s and then buy a second GPU, later on.

Any help / advice is immensely appreciated. Thanks :D
Sorry for going off topic, but is there any microstutter? Here's an article about it http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2013/12/12/amd-frame-pacing/1
AMD said they'll fix it next month, but that's only up to 2k resolutions sadly. I've been thinking about adding another card, but this worries me.

No problem... I've never noticed any micro-stutter. The only issue I've had is the vertical tearing on the 3rd display that is DVI instead of DP, as there is only 2 DP / 2 DVI connectors on the GPU. This is due to a very slight timing difference.

You should seriously consider a GTX780... With as many discounts that are flying around, you can find em less than $500 new...

All of the AMD cards were marked up by $100 because of the mining craze so etailers are punishing consumers who are gamers. The 290/x are still having some issues just like any new card has, but AMD along with AIB partners have been slow to correct them.

Smart decision is go single card . If you prefer to stick with AMD, you'll be waiting awhile until the markups disappear and frankly, it's really not worth the wait unless you are sold on mantle.

My opinion is, mantle is new anyways and needs a good year if not longer to get its bugs worked out. I've learned over the many years of these upgrade cycles, early adopters take it in the ass. Having the newest isn't always the best when plagued with problems.

Just adds more frustration when all you want to do is game and enjoy your investment .

I'm sitting here with dual 280s waiting to dump them. Originally it was for the 290s but I honestly think I'm going to pass until a refresh comes along. Secondly , Nvidia is looking more appetizing to me since I already own a few gsync upgradeable monitors.

I have loved the Radeon cards for many years but I feel AMD kinda fell short because of the holiday release, along with the battlefield 4 issues. It's clear everything was rushed and now with these ridiculous prices on their cards, it's turning a lot of us off. GTX780 for under $500 is a real value for even an AMD supporter... Those who can't admit it, just aren't being honest with themselves.

100% agree, go for a GTX780 hands down.

The 290/x are still having some issues just like any new card has,

Really? I have had no issues with my 290..

Same, no issues with either of my cards.

I'd look around for either the 290 or 290x if I was the OP (especially at his res). If you hate reference, custom cooled cards are being released next month.

I just saw one on Amazon, that was 580 in the list, clicked it, page came up at 428 dollars. At that point, I would have bit.

Added to cart, 512 dollars. Going wtf, I contacted Amazon, who informed me that it is 512 dollars and unfortunately they can't change the price.

:(

I just saw one on Amazon, that was 580 in the list, clicked it, page came up at 428 dollars. At that point, I would have bit.

Added to cart, 512 dollars. Going wtf, I contacted Amazon, who informed me that it is 512 dollars and unfortunately they can't change the price.

:(

Amazon has a few sapphire bf4 290's for $429.99 atm.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
you can get a 780 for cheaper than you can get a 290. and the 780 is the better overall card anyway.

you can get a 780 for cheaper than you can get a 290. and the 780 is the better overall card anyway.

This. Get a nice custom-cooled GTX 780 with the 3 free games bundle and it'll be cheaper, better, faster, quieter, cooler, and have physx/shadowplay/txaa/etc. Win-win all around.

What battlefield 4 issues? I have a 290 and have been playing battlefield 4 without any issues.

LOL try trolling harder will you ;)

Every patch they rolled out breaks something again in the game and it's still not 100% stable everyone knows that even on the new consoles.

I'm confused because people keep telling me the 780 is faster, however, every benchmark and review shows me the 290 pounces the 780.

Please note, I do not care at all about PhysX / Shadowplay / TXAA / Mantle / G-Sync.

The only feature I was maybe even a smidgen interested in Shadowplay but that does not work with Surround / Eyefinity, so that's out.

Is there ever going to be price drops on the 780 Ti? Seems very expensive compared to the regular 780.

I'm confused because people keep telling me the 780 is faster, however, every benchmark and review shows me the 290 pounces the 780.

Please note, I do not care at all about PhysX / Shadowplay / TXAA / Mantle / G-Sync.

The only feature I was maybe even a smidgen interested in Shadowplay but that does not work with Surround / Eyefinity, so that's out.

Is there ever going to be price drops on the 780 Ti? Seems very expensive compared to the regular 780.

Simple, overclock the GTX780 and you win the R9 290 easily. These GTX780 have very good overclock headroom without even overvolting the core.

People are telling you the GTX780 because right now the value per dollar is more. The recent price hikes on the 290, plus the noise and heat coming from it are what is drawing people away, otherwise the 290 would be the best bang for the buck.

Simple, overclock the GTX780 and you win the R9 290 easily. These GTX780 have very good overclock headroom without even overvolting the core.

+1

If you really want to save, pick up a used 780 non-ref for ~$400.

With the ref 290's @ $500 I'm expecting the AIB 290s to be priced at $580-$600 (Powercolor Ref 290 is currently $530 on NE!) I don't even consider them an option at this point due to the price hikes.

The ACX, TFIV, DC2T are all solid options.

People are telling you the GTX780 because right now the value per dollar is more. The recent price hikes on the 290, plus the noise and heat coming from it are what is drawing people away, otherwise the 290 would be the best bang for the buck.

I agree 100%. If the non-ref 290s were priced @ $420-440 it would be no contest and I'd have one of those instead of the 780.

Well what is a good OC 780 then?

I was looking at the Gigabyte Windforce one. Anyone try one of those?

I am also not in a fast rush to buy, and am willing for prices to settle once the mining thing finally tanks or supplies come up. Might even be able to get both at that point >:D

Well what is a good OC 780 then?

I was looking at the Gigabyte Windforce one. Anyone try one of those?

I am also not in a fast rush to buy, and am willing for prices to settle once the mining thing finally tanks or supplies come up. Might even be able to get both at that point >:D

As I mentioned above the [ACX, TFIV, DC2T, Lightning] are all solid options in terms of OC.

If you are going used, market availability is going to dictate what you buy. If you are buying new I'd probably go with the Lightning, ACX SC, or DC2. As far as the gigabyte cards go, they are my least favorite simply due to their design.

Stock boost clocks are the highest on the Lightning and EVGA ACX Cards. (Lightning=1033, [SC=1020, FTW=1033, Class=1046])

OC Ability is going to be highest on the Lightning and Classified due to non-ref design and binned chips. <- My choice if your goal is to OC.

Another question. On a 780, can I use all 4 display outputs?

I have my 3 23" LED LCDs, and then I have a 19" LCD for internet / Mumble / music while playing.

I'll probably end up getting the MSI. I have an MSI 6970 now, and it's a rock solid trooper.

I just bought a pair of lightning's. They are monsters, but I can't keep them both because of temps.

Running one on its own for just a little bit last night and it was pretty awesome. Running triple screen though I worry about a single cards ability to keep higher framerates with higher eyecandy.

Hence why I bought two cards.

I am guessing I want to run the 3 23" off of the two DVI and the HDMI port, correct, and then put the 19" on the DP port?

I am guessing I want to run the 3 23" off of the two DVI and the HDMI port, correct, and then put the 19" on the DP port?

If all the displays are 1080p 60Hz then it does not matter which port you use.

If you have a monitor that supports audio through DP/HDMI and you want to use the built-in speakers or audio output from that display I would take placement and port into consideration.

Back