Need recomendation for server specs.

Nutzy

Limp Gawd
I am planning on building a server for the gaming center I will be opening.
It needs to be able to handle the following tasks:
File server for image hosting.
Game Hosting LAN and depending on connection WAN.
Also Web Hosting.

Now I know some of these things don't need power machines, such as web hosting, where I could get away with building a junk PC to do that, I just need a recommendation of specs, and if i should go with a single server, or multiple boxes?

well for internal file serving and game hosting you should get a seperate box from a web facing box.

no frills stripped down server for internal game server duties.
and a machine designed to run 24/7 for web facing duties. these need not be expensive either. just concentrate on ram and enough cpu power to handle things smoothly. os and game servers (and the number of servers) you plan on running will determine ram amount and whether you need dual socket 4 core machine or a basic single socket dual core machine.

the web facing machine is the cheaper of the 2 you will be building as your web connection is going to be far slower than any cheap server you will be buying. so anything will work as long as it isn't something like a team fortress 2 and counter strike source with battlefield 2 based game combo server. all those 3 combined will need some cpu horespower to handle the in game physics but a single socket qx series cpu will handle that okay with enough ram thrown behind it.

but in order to nail it down more specifically you need to let us know what game servers you plan to run and what you plan on putting up on your web server.

Back