Need quiet video card recommendation

Swingman

Limp Gawd
Working on building a small, budget friendly, quiet gaming pc and wondered if anyone had any recommendations on a video card that is quiet with it's stock fan. Not looking at aftermarket gpu fan options.

I prefer nvidia to ati due to a history of more reliable drivers but seems nvidia cards are either expensive or outdated.

I can use the video card from my last build if need be while I look for a new one but it's old (Geforce 8800 GT) and not that quiet. Rest of my build is in my signature.

Last edited:
visiontek Radeon 7850 looks pretty tempting at $220.

Although might should wait on the 660 ti to come out in a couple weeks. Even if the Radeon is still the better deal, it might cause prices to drop a bit.

How good is the rest of your build ventilated? Is a fanless card a possible option?

I was doing a bit of research on this tonight myself as I've been intending to look. Appears as if there are some pretty cheap fanless 7750 cards out there. Not sure what resolutions and games you are looking to play, but unless you have loads of monitors I suspect the 7750 will be adequate, but not jaw dropping.

haven't received any of the components yet but based on reviews, the tjo8b-e case is supposed to be good at keeping the internals cool. Although they only compared it to other micro-atx cases so not sure how it does compared to regular sized cases. The reviews do say I can fit full sized video cards in it. I'll double check that before I order though.

I'm using one 20in monitor with 1680x1050 resolution.

ASUS makes fanless video cards in either green or red flavors. I prefer green myself, but... :D

I was doing a bit of research on this tonight myself as I've been intending to look. Appears as if there are some pretty cheap fanless 7750 cards out there. Not sure what resolutions and games you are looking to play, but unless you have loads of monitors I suspect the 7750 will be adequate, but not jaw dropping.

I read an article that indicated that a pair of silent 7750s gave the same performance as a 6950 or 6970 (I forget which).

Not sure why they'd lie about it and many rumors of the card are saying it's 2 GB (although could just be copying the same source).

Even if it's just 1.5 GB, the benchmarks look pretty good. Guess we'll know soon enough.

Not sure why they'd lie about it and many rumors of the card are saying it's 2 GB (although could just be copying the same source).

Even if it's just 1.5 GB, the benchmarks look pretty good. Guess we'll know soon enough.

Yup; the card looks strong as a budget 2560x1XXX card, but a 1.5GB limitation might keep it out of that running for many, especially those trying to put two in SLi.

I've been happy with the quietness of MSI TwinFrozr anything.

^^^^^^^^

Agreed I got 2 of these and there very silent.

But you can try getting one of these also. There just as silent as my twin frozr

AX6850 1GBD5-I2DH

Buy any reference card of your choice. Buy an Accelero Twin Turbo II. Remove its stock fans. Zip tie two 120mm fans...Quiet.

I ended up going with the MSI Radeon HD 7950OC Twin Frozr III card for $315 after $20 MIR.

It's cool, quiet and good on power consumption and still has good performance according to reviews that I've seen.

Got my gpu into the computer and my new completed build is definitely quieter than my old build.

Of course, more goes into the noise levels of the system than just the GPU but happy with the results, especially at idle.

Windows 8 WEI score of 7.7, 7.7, 8.1, 8.1, 8.1 is a nice improvement too.

Back