Need quick answer about square trade.

The Lurker

Fully [H]
I bought two google nexus phones, I also saw that square trade was offering a 35% off coupon today so I got one plan and I was getting ready to purchase another when I decided to look through the account manager. I realized they ask for a receipt to prove that I own the device.

Here is my question. If I ever damage one of them how do they know which one I am claiming? My receipt says I bought two, but how do they know which one it is? Whats the point of buying two plans then.

Am I missing something?

Called them, found out they ask for the IMEI or SN when you submit the receipt. I small bulllshit. I dont think they know or care because I see no indication of anywhere to enter it.

Also, found out you are entitled to one replacement before you are required to buy another "Warranty". Squaretrade is not insurance.

Check into other phone insurers, there are tons of them. You can even add you phone to certain homeowners insurance policies. I have used Squaretrade and liked the service. They shipped me a brand new unit for replacement instead of some crap refurb and I had it within 2 days. Depending on the price and availablility of your phone it may not make sense though. Not sure I would pay $100 coverage for a $300 phone unless I was especially clumbsy.

A friend at work swears by them. He has had two tablets replaced by them and no hassles at all. One a couple years ago, one just last month. My first thought is any warranty company is a scam but after seeing how it worked for him I will certainly consider them for certain purchases.

Check into other phone insurers, there are tons of them. You can even add you phone to certain homeowners insurance policies. I have used Squaretrade and liked the service. They shipped me a brand new unit for replacement instead of some crap refurb and I had it within 2 days. Depending on the price and availablility of your phone it may not make sense though. Not sure I would pay $100 coverage for a $300 phone unless I was especially clumbsy.

Thats basically what I am thinking.

100 for the "insurance" then 100 deductible for a 300 dollar phone. 100 bucks comes back to me in the event I may trash the phone, but lose 100 if I don't.

My local tmobile store said that if I bring my phones in they will work some magic to put it on asurion through my plan. For just an extra 70 cents a month ill have loss/theft protection and up to two claims per year with $130 deductible.

If I can't get this I am going to re-evaluate square trade. They only cover one replacement and then you need to buy another "insurance". Which is kind of gay.

By the way, why not Worth Ave or EnPhone?

First, SquareTrade wants $125 prior to discounts.

Worth Ave costs $88.20 (for the Nexus) for 2 years with loss and theft coverage. Unlimited number of claims ($50 deductible) vs 4 on SquareTrade ($99 deductible).

EnPhone is $199 for 2 years also with loss the theft. But only 3 claims also ($50 deductible)

There is also GoCare to consider; it is also cheaper and unlimited claims. I do believe that all of those three are proven, reputable insurance companies like SquareTrade, but they covers more and are cheaper.

ST costs $97 with coupon for 2 years and you are limited to ONE claim with $125 deductible. Its pretty gay.

IMHO at $200 it doesnt make sense unless I claim at least 2 times. Even I am not that reckless with my stuff.

Back