Need PSU help. I am out of date

narsbars

2[H]4U
Just grabbed an Aourus X570 board and pulled an old EVGA 850 gold out of a drawer. The issue is that the EVGA main MB plug wont go all the way in. The plug has two raised rails (due to the 4 pin unit) that stop the plug from going in far enough.
I was tempted to just cut them off but also tried an old Rosewill 1K and the power plug just glides in. I remember some MBs had slots cut in the MB power mount to let those guide rails go in but not this one. Since I am building this for my wife as a work unit she doesn't even need a power connection to her vid card, I just hate to use an ancient Rosewill.
I am just afraid there is something about this plug I don't know and I don't want to let the magic smoke out of this build.

Attachments

• Plug 1.jpg
    Plug 1.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Plug 2.jpg
    Plug 2.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Looking at the picture you posted, the plugs look really chewed up. That may be why they arent plugging in, its hard to tell for sure but you may also have bent pins inside of them, but the pic is low rez so hard to say for sure.

Looking at the picture you posted, the plugs look really chewed up. That may be why they arent plugging in, its hard to tell for sure but you may also have bent pins inside of them, but the pic is low rez so hard to say for sure.
The pins are not bent or squashed. I forgot and turned down the pic quality on my Pixlel......oops. The first pic gives you the idea. Since there is no slot on the MB end for the connectors they get stopped.

The rail looks flush with the edge of where it plugs in, it shouldnt stop it from plugging in to the board. On the right hand side of the plug though do look messed up compared to the side with the 4 pin, they almost look melted.

Not melted. The rail itself is actually lower than the locking tab so the locking tab cannot get low enough to connect. I would just hack it off but hate the idea of toasting something. Other MBs I had in the past with this PSU had cutouts to allow for the 4 pin addition to the 20 pin main body. These rails overhang the socket and prevent fully seating or locking the plug. Thanks

Id chop it off then, its not like it is a super rare retro piece of equipment. I had to get a 20 to 24 pin adapter for one of my old boards as the 20 pin had a cap right net to the 20 pin, and couldnt use a 24 pin PSU on the board.

Id chop it off then, its not like it is a super rare retro piece of equipment. I had to get a 20 to 24 pin adapter for one of my old boards as the 20 pin had a cap right net to the 20 pin, and couldnt use a 24 pin PSU on the board.
I think I am going that way. LOL, while looking thru junk tonight I found a 24 to 20 pin adapter.

Back