need pda reccomendations

i'm looking for a pda i can find used for cheap that will be fun to mess around with. i want something i can load my own OS on, hopefully it should come with wireless connectivity, i want to be able to hold some MP3s and play games and write/type, just basic stuff like that. i've been looking at the iPaq 3835, seems to be pretty nice. i don't want to spend more than $150 for the unit/charger/dock/wireless card. i'm open to all suggestions, let me know what you have and if you like it.

The main qualifier I noticed that will really narrow the field is that you would like to load your own os. I belive your best bet for somthing like that will be one that is already running an open system like linux. Look at the Sharp Zaurus a quick google for it turns up hits for a gentoo linux distribution on the first page.

The O2 XDA (himalaya) can apparently boot kernel 2.6.8.1. It hasn't got wifi natively, but it's got an SD port. And it's probably way more expensive than you're looking for. But there's a decent developer community at http://www.xda-developers.com/

-m

good luck finding one for that price. and like mentione the only thing you can do with an OS is go backwards or there are a ew linux OSes for pda if you can find them. i assume that you knw this though?? my suggestions is get the dell axim x30 with the 312mhz proc insted of the 624. its not close to your price range new but if you could find a used it might not be so bad. it has wifi btw. if you want a real pda get the x30 with the 624mhz proc. they have the new x50 out but its just a glorified x30...not worth the extra money. they tell you the OS is different but you can donload the upgrade from dell. you won't find a better pda than the x30

Well for that price you'll have to buy used to get Wifi, why not look at some of the older Dell Axims...

I so want the x50v :drool:

i thought i mentioned i want to buy used, guess not. i just want something that runs pocket pc with a decent screen, that can be expanded with cf cards/cf wireless cards and that has a touchscreen. suggestions?

stringcheeseincident said:
i thought i mentioned i want to buy used, guess not. i just want something that runs pocket pc with a decent screen, that can be expanded with cf cards/cf wireless cards and that has a touchscreen. suggestions?
you did, I'm blind... still gonna recommend the Axim

im not looking for anything too special, i really only want to spend around $150. just a basic handheld that has a nice touchscreen, runs Pocket PC, allows me to add my own programs and games easily, and has some way for me to expand - with either SD or CF media / wireless cards. anyone have real basic reccomendations?

Back