Need password "crack" program for Mac OSX (for legal use)

[Tripod]MajorPayne

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi, I know my thread title might be a little misleading/shady, but I assure you that this is for a good use, nothing illegal about it.

My friend, being not that intelligent, replaced his administrator password with gibberish. He just typed in random keys. I'm not sure what exactly possessed him to do it, but now he can't log in as admin, and he can't install anything or download some content until he fixes his password. I'm going to his house Saturday and I need a standalone program that will figure out or reset his password so he can log in as administrator and change it. I think he said that he can't install any programs, so I will probably need one is independent and doesn't require installation, I guess just an .exe file.

Is there a simpler solution? Is this like Windows, can he reinstall his OS on top of the current one and reset the password? Is there an easier way to go about this? Thanks in advance!

I already did. I was pissed off last night anyway, so I was quite sure to let my friend know EXACTLY how stupid he was to screw up his password. Thanks for the help. And..I forgot about the Mac forum, I've never had any reason to use it, so I just stuck it in here, my bad! If a mod wants to move it, please do so. Thank you for your help.

It is OS after all, but this is a bit grey. We allow mention of magicjellybean to recover XP keys, but let's be careful on posting "cracks" for passwords. That has never flown around these parts. If someone sends you a PM with info, fine. If someone can point you in the right direction in the thread, cool, but please refraine from posting actual links to shady sites.

Good luck.

even if the admin login is locked out, you should still have root as a means of resetting the admin login pw.
Isn't this possible?

actually come to think of it, it may not even be enabled in this case.

odoe said:
It is OS after all, but this is a bit grey. We allow mention of magicjellybean to recover XP keys, but let's be careful on posting "cracks" for passwords. That has never flown around these parts. If someone sends you a PM with info, fine. If someone can point you in the right direction in the thread, cool, but please refraine from posting actual links to shady sites.

Good luck.

Yes, I apologize for however misleading it might be, and please feel free to edit my thread title or lock the thread. The link that the poster replied with originally about using the OS disk to reset the password worked. My friend has resolved the issue as of about 9:30 PM EST last night. Sorry to bother you. :cool:

EDIT: I don't think root was enabled, and he has NO idea how to go about it even if it were. I'm a little inexperienced on a Mac, and I wasn't actually sitting at the terminal, I was pulling phone tech support. I think his root password was fubared, too, because he said he was resetting them all. Thanks for your help, sorry to Mr. Odoe. ;)

Back