Need Opinions -- Spilled Water on Notebook

CeD

Limp Gawd
Hey all:

I spilled some water on a notebook -- I let it dry for 1 week and it still does not power on.

Is this usually indicative of a bad DC board or do you all think I probably need to change the entire motherboard?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ced

was it on when u spilled water on it? if it was, it may be dead. Check the motherboard to see if theres any black spots on it :eek:

Yes it was on -- I just took everything apart and there are no black spots on the motherboard.

Turn it off, do NOT attempt to turn it back on. Remove the battery, and turn it upside down. Leave it for a week (seriously). After this time, put the battery back in and power up. I've saved several laptops this way.

icthus13 said:
Turn it off, do NOT attempt to turn it back on. Remove the battery, and turn it upside down. Leave it for a week (seriously). After this time, put the battery back in and power up. I've saved several laptops this way.

I think it was already mentioned that is has been left off for a week.

It's real hard to say what could be the problem. I really have no advice.

might wanna try power cycling it...

take out the battery and pull the plug, let hte laptop sit for about 10 mins, push the power button to discharge any charge its holding, then plug it back in and see if it powers up

i guess ive gotten lucky, ive poured water on my thinkpad 3 times i think, while it was on, and its fine. i normally cut it off, take it apart and air dry with it an air compressor.

phungilax said:
When water was spilled on it, did you power it down right away or did the system freeze and turn off on its own?

I powered it down right away

Have you tried booting it up without the keyboard plugged in? I worked on a laptop that had something spilled into it. It shorted out and fried the keyboard and the computer wouldn't boot with it plugged in.

Pretty much take off everything not needed to power on the unit. This means everything but the logic board with a power button board, dc board if it has one, a single stick of memory and the proc with it's heatsink. See if it turns on. You also want to check the unit with a know good stick of ram. If the unit boots up start putting parts back on untill it stops turning on. There is still a very good change that the logic board is gone.

Back