Need opininons about Eizo EV2333WH

Atropos

n00b
I'm looking for a new display and Eizo EV2333WH looks very good with only one flaw and that's response time. So if there's anyone who uses this monitor for casual gaming I'd appreciate some opinions how it performs. I tried once Samsung F2380 with same panel, but returned it immediately(black crush and the ghosting was unbearable). Black crush is for sure fixed with Eizo, but is response time any better?

My other options are HP ZR24W and NEC EA231WMi. Price is about the same with each one. Nec being little cheaper than the other two. Don't like these much because possible uniformity issues typical for cheaper LG IPS-panels are the last thing I want. HP has a little better resolution, but black level is pitiful. Nec is a little slow too being without overdrive circuitry, but I have seen one and response time was good enough. Does anyone know how this compares to EV2333WH in regard to responsiveness?

The EV2333W does look like a very interesting monitor, but its response time is very similar to the F2380 because, as you said, they likely share the same LTM230HP01 panel. EIZO have implemented an effective RTC solution which PRAD.de measured in their review of the unit, but even with the setting on maximum, significant trailing remained.

Current IPS monitors with the exception of the EA231WMi are very fast switchers across all transition types. Their response time, build quality, stable colours and price allow them to steal TN's dress and look better wearing it.

I'm looking for a new display and Eizo EV2333WH looks very good with only one flaw and that's response time. So if there's anyone who uses this monitor for casual gaming I'd appreciate some opinions how it performs. I tried once Samsung F2380 with same panel, but returned it immediately(black crush and the ghosting was unbearable). Black crush is for sure fixed with Eizo, but is response time any better?

My other options are HP ZR24W and NEC EA231WMi. Price is about the same with each one. Nec being little cheaper than the other two. Don't like these much because possible uniformity issues typical for cheaper LG IPS-panels are the last thing I want. HP has a little better resolution, but black level is pitiful. Nec is a little slow too being without overdrive circuitry, but I have seen one and response time was good enough. Does anyone know how this compares to EV2333WH in regard to responsiveness?

The NEC/Ezio/F2380 are basically all the same in terms of responsiveness, according to Digital Versus the F2380 is faster than the NEC (perform like a 5ms TN). If you aren't going to be doing color work you can fix the black crush on the F2380 with rivatuner by setting the gamma to 1.4. Most of the ghosting I found was caused by the black crush and the response time being set to anything but Normal. Save yourself some $ and get the F2380. If you do have a colorimeter the black crush can be fixed even easier.

I wouldn't get an LG IPS panel either which is why i tried the F2380 and now have the F2380MX

The NEC/Ezio/F2380 are basically all the same in terms of responsiveness

No they aren't. The base Samsung panel is rated at 25ms black-white-black.

These images are from PRAD.de reviews of the respective models

Samsung F2380:
samsung-f2380-schlieren.jpg

EV2333W with highest OD setting:
EV2333WH_reakt_verb.jpg

according to Digital Versus the F2380 is faster than the NEC (perform like a 5ms TN).
According to me, Digital Versus can stick their blurb up their arse.

If you aren't going to be doing color work you can fix the black crush on the F2380 with rivatuner by setting the gamma to 1.4.
Compensating for a design flaw by fudging the gamma to an unknown value using an application is a kind of advice I intend to abstain from offering.

Save yourself some $ and get the F2380. If you do have a colorimeter the black crush can be fixed even easier.
If you have a colorimeter you can calibrate the F2380 to 2.2 gamma using your VCGT and a profile loader, which will be overwritten by many games and offers no solution for consoles and external players. The large amount of correction involved induces significant banding demonstrated by PRAD.de using UDACT:

samsung-f2380-ugra-thumbnail.jpg

"The F2380 would deliver a very good result in this section if the "Black Crush", which makes it impossible to differentiate the darkest grey hues, did not arise. Here, even major intervention in the graphics card LUT does not help; this causes too many hues to be lost and causes banding as a result."

If you have a colorimeter you can calibrate the F2380 to 2.2 gamma using your VCGT and a profile loader, which will be overwritten by many games and offers no solution for consoles and external players. The large amount of correction involved induces significant banding demonstrated by PRAD.de using UDACT:

Well, that can be locked by external programs too. Powerstip can do it as can a very small program called Monitor Calibration Wizard, and probaply some other programs too. Locks up your gamma calibrations that your games wont overwrite them. Though this also renders brightness controls unusable in games but since you have your monitor calibrated to proper gamma and brightness its not a big loss. I use MCW for that sole reason even though my TV should be close to 2.2 as it is. Using 3rd party programs to help your monitor to be as perfect as possible isnt that bad.

But considering the reviews I have read about F2380 perhaps its poor gamma by design is enough to render that monitor a bad buy. Why one should pay from monitor that desperately needs help instead of improving goodness.

No they aren't. The base Samsung panel is rated at 25ms black-white-black.

These images are from PRAD.de reviews of the respective models

Samsung F2380:
samsung-f2380-schlieren.jpg

EV2333W with highest OD setting:
EV2333WH_reakt_verb.jpg

According to me, Digital Versus can stick their blurb up their arse.

Compensating for a design flaw by fudging the gamma to an unknown value using an application is a kind of advice I intend to abstain from offering.

samsung-f2380-ugra-thumbnail.jpg

"The F2380 would deliver a very good result in this section if the "Black Crush", which makes it impossible to differentiate the darkest grey hues, did not arise. Here, even major intervention in the graphics card LUT does not help; this causes too many hues to be lost and causes banding as a result."

Synthetic tests don't necessrily translate into real world performance in terms of responsive time, I thought this was something most people knew. In prad's review they even mention that (Cnet says there is no motion blur/streaking at all LOL).

In real world materials the F2380 and Ezio would perform similarily with the Ezio being slightly better, but would one notice the difference w/o the F2380 on hand for comparison?

One should know when buying the Ezio/NEC/F2380 monitors that they are't purchasing them for their response time

Digital Versus mehtods for testing response time give a much better picture as to how monitors will perform in real world materials. They rate it perfomring the same as a 5ms TN, like the popular T240 (which I have on had for compirsion). In synthetic tests (PixerPixAn or Prad's bouncing red sqaure) the F2380's performance is laughable and there is a ton of streaking. Side by side with the T240 after the response time is set to "Normal," and black crush fixed they are indistinguishable (other than the F2380 looking 10x better).

I have a colorimeter and had the F2380 set up next to a calibrated montior. The RivaTuner adjustment is sound for people who don't have the means for calibration and aren't performaning any sort of precision color work. I wasn't playing PC games so I can't comment as to weather or not Riva Tuner's adjustments stick.

I completely agree with you though that the original F2380 is a poor choice for consoles as the black crush can't be fixed. I say this even though I used one for 5 months for my 360/PS3 gaming. I knew it was too dark but the PQ was still amazing.

With MaZa's suggested program this makes the F2380 a great buy due to it's price and you never have to worry about IPS tinting/panel uniformity issues.

Well, that can be locked by external programs too. Powerstip can do it as can a very small program called Monitor Calibration Wizard, and probaply some other programs too. Locks up your gamma calibrations that your games wont overwrite them. Though this also renders brightness controls unusable in games but since you have your monitor calibrated to proper gamma and brightness its not a big loss. I use MCW for that sole reason even though my TV should be close to 2.2 as it is. Using 3rd party programs to help your monitor to be as perfect as possible isnt that bad.

But considering the reviews I have read about F2380 perhaps its poor gamma by design is enough to render that monitor a bad buy. Why one should pay from monitor that desperately needs help instead of improving goodness.

Good program suggestion. Not sure if Riva Tuner's adjustments stick for PC games.

Why buy the monitor? Well the F2380 is 260$, so if you spend 10 minutes and 30$ for power strip to change the gamma setting it makes it a great buy. I bought the monitor for the ridiculous contrast ratio/black depth and low input latency.

The PQ is simply outstanding, especially for movies. Only the Ezio and F2380M/MX monitors can match but they cost alot more and aren't avaliable in all areas (for example I can't get the Ezio or F2380M here but can get the F2380 and MX). An average response (the OP said he was a casual gamer so why not try the F2380 after the changes and save some $) time is worth putting up with due to almost 0 input lag and fantastic image quality.

I loved the F2380 so much I bought the MX hoping it would fix the originals issues. Not only is there 0 black crush, but the black level is deeper, the contrast is higher, but it's also slightly faster.

Last edited:

First I just wanna say that you can use QuickGamma to control your gamma... Excellent program.

Some info I found (correct me if I'm wrong):

The Samsung F2380 is faster... less input lag.
The Eizo EV2333WH has superior options to mess with, including that it supports 1:1 pixel mapping.
The Eizo seems to be rather slow.
The Samsung is a tad cheaper.

They use the same panel apparently, but I don't know what quality/brightness/contrast differences there are
between them. Other than the Samsung being darker, are they identical just because of the same panel?

I don't know the exact nature of the black crush on the F2380 but possibly you could fix it by raising
the gamma like NCX wrote earlier, athough I recommend using QuickGamma instead of RivaTuner..

Of course, the Samsung is a Samsung... many people, including myself, would like to avoid it just for that simple reason, based on experiences.

But anyway, regardless... more comparison between the EV2333WH and the F2380 sure is needed.

I wouldn't hesitate for 1 second getting the Eizo if it wasn't for the input lag and slow response as shown in the PRAD review for example.

Also it'd be nice to see some videos on YouTube on the Eizo... there are none at the moment.

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance but would this Eizo work with a PS3 via HDMI to DVI cable?

On the Prad review they state the following:

Although the Eizo EV2333WH does not have a HDMI input, we hoped to be able to run external player devices via HDMI-DVI or HDMI-DisplayPort cable. However, as the manufacturer’s indications already caused us to fear, the Eizo EV2333WH digital can only process vertical frequencies of between 59 and 61 Hertz digitally.

Unfortunately, we have to confirm that the manufacturer’s indications are correct. Thus, the EV2333WH, like the Eizo S2242WH, can only be used in connection with a computer.

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't hesitate for 1 second getting the Eizo if it wasn't for the input lag and slow response as shown in the PRAD review for example.

Ehm, who are you? Clark Kent?
Prad measured the input lag to be ~23ms on average (17+17+34 / 3 ).
That's low!
And how do you draw the conclusion that the Eizo is slower based on the test image above?
I think they look very similar, but I don't put much into images like that, captured by a camera. What a human can perceive is an entirely different thing.

I'm getting tired of this response time discussion. Go buy a 120Hz LCD or stick to your CRT if you really are that super sensitive.
Most likely you're not, but keep imagining you're.
Stop bashing monitors you've not even tried for not being fast enough. That goes to all speed freaks out there, not only the one I'm quoting.

If you aren't going to be doing color work you can fix the black crush on the F2380 with rivatuner by setting the gamma to 1.4. Most of the ghosting I found was caused by the black crush and the response time being set to anything but Normal. Save yourself some $ and get the F2380. If you do have a colorimeter the black crush can be fixed even easier.

since he mentions only casual gaming i'm not sure some random gamma 1.4 in tuner would be what he is after (plus it will add lots banding) and colorimeter and LUT load won't work with blu-ray or games and would likely make a lot of banding too since people say it needs a ton of correction

Excuse my ignorance but would this Eizo work with a PS3 via HDMI to DVI cable?

On the Prad review they state the following:

Thanks in advance.

well 59-61Hz is fine for US versions of external players and consoles

in PAL land it may mean trouble

Ehm, who are you? Clark Kent?
Prad measured the input lag to be ~23ms on average (17+17+34 / 3 ).
That's low!
And how do you draw the conclusion that the Eizo is slower based on the test image above?
I think they look very similar, but I don't put much into images like that, captured by a camera. What a human can perceive is an entirely different thing.

I'm getting tired of this response time discussion. Go buy a 120Hz LCD or stick to your CRT if you really are that super sensitive.
Most likely you're not, but keep imagining you're.
Stop bashing monitors you've not even tried for not being fast enough. That goes to all speed freaks out there, not only the one I'm quoting.

23ms response is pretty good indeed for anything but a special gaming panel

however, I thought they out and out stated that the panel look poor for games (something I don't recall them having said about a whole lot of panels), but i'd have to read it again

anyway samsung is a miserable, lying company (at least in the US), sad to say
eizo would surely have much less banding, way better settings for photo work, even movies, etc.

Back