Need older pc parts...

222 1/3 evil

Supreme [H]ardness
This is not your average PC FS/FT thread, if it gets locked I understand, however I have to try.

My wife and I do PC work on the side for people and we try to help out those with handicaps and disabled people as often as we can. We have run into a situation, where a family had approached my wife and I to help them with a PC issue. They had a 75mhz pentium with 32 mb of ram that died. There was no chance of repair or replacing the parts as the woman is disabled and all her disability income goes to rent and basic living essentials. She has a 6 year old daughter( the father is a total asshat and not around) that is wanting a computer for educational programs, and some older games etc.. What we'd like to do ideally is to build her a machine based older parts we had laying around as a suprise for her and her child. I have MOST of the parts that are needed. The only hangup is, I do not have a mobo or proc (the only ones I did have expired when I moved apartments), and I with a family of my own cannot afford to buy her the requisite parts needed to finish the machine.

Minor backstory on me, I did not make wise credit choices in my youth and now I am paying for it. But this story isn't about me this about this family I am trying to help. ANYWAY

This is where you guys come in.. does anyone out there have any 800-1000mhz proc/mobo and a older video card laying (gf2, voodoo 3 or built in video even)laying around they aren't using so I can help a single mom and her child out with?

I do not have any $$$ to pay for these parts, all I can offer is a heartfelt thankyou. If anyone has anything please let me know here or by emailing me @ [email protected].

I wouldn't normally come on here and ask for this. I am not trying to do anything immoral, I am trying to help a family out with a decent PC that will help her daughter learn more about computers.

Thanks for reading.

Bump for you.

I have a celeron 433, Abit mobo and some memory I could let go but looks like that is a little too little. Also I might have a 700 and a board by the middle of next week? I hope you are able to help them out.

and um I'm trying to help a needy family get a sports car, but I don't have the money to get it for them, so if anyone has an old porche or something they dont use, maybe you could send it to me, thanks.

Seriously though dude, why does a 6 year old need a computer anyway? Take donations for books and mail those to her if this is indeed a legitimate situation, and not just you trying to get some free parts.

Wow, just when i thought all the dumbasses left the site.. what was i thinking. Did you even read his post? It's for the MOTHER and the young girl. as for her being 6 and needing a computer... it's nothing out of the ordinary, alot of young children use puters for simple proggies for abc's and 123's... Try putting that heart of yours in an oven for a few hours, might thaw out by then...

As for parts all i got is a p2 450 with some junk ram (

I apprecaite all the responses so far. It doesn't have to be a 1ghz but it would be cool...

222...if you can get down to VA beach ( i realise this is quite the drive) i have a compaq that was sitting out in our shed, its an amd k6-2 533, no ram, i can give you a 48x cd rom drive. needs a hd and ram. Or if maybe Alexandria is closer, my sister lives near Landmark mall. I could possibly meet you up there monday or something.

i have no idea what (if any) problems there are on it. I tried to see if it worked, it powers up but wont find an OS (only detecs OS from CD rom or floppy ) couldnt get a windows install disc to get read, or a bootable floppy to work. not sure if the floppy is bad, i dont have any extras, the cd rom works fine, its from a new 400sc I have.

I also have a p2-400 and old motherboard /case with a psu that I have no idea if it works. been in my closet forever. you're welcome to take this one too.

Actually, omfg. I though roanoke was up on the other side of the state. I cant get this to you. Prolly not worth your time to drive out here.

hehe, with all of these 400-700 mhz machines, we could make a hella beowulf cluster.... that's sorta like a 1gHz machine, right? I wonder if anyone makes abc's and number games for a distrubted platform....

Back