Need new IPS monitor instead of my current TN because its colors are horrible

Hi.. I recently bought a Iiyama GB2488HSU-B1 that's a 24" LED-backlit TN panel and found that its colors are horrible.. I can clearly see even after calibration crappy banding mainly in gradients but even in every other image or graphic aspect..

My mistake was trusting Digital Versus review.. I thought that by saving some money the result wouldn't be very different but I was in error I discovered..

So now I want to buy an IPS monitor to have color reproduction without banding.. I was thinking of buying Eizo Foris FS2333-BK.. What do you thing about this model?

I don't care about lag because I mainly play grand strategy games and 4Xs like Europa Universalis or Galactic Civilizations.. I really prefer to have perfect color reproduction because I do graphic design work and make drawings.. And also I want to watch Blu-rays without puking because of horrible colors and pixelations..

I already read some topics here and a lot on the internet but I would prefer to know your direct experience and knowledge..

Thank you for your help.. : )

My computer:
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 3,4 GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
Graphic card: MSI Twin Frozr II OC Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 Ti with 1 GB GDDR5
RAM: G-Skill 2133 MHz 8 GB DDR3
PSU: Corsair GS700 700 watt Bronze 80+
Fan/heatsink: Noctua NH-D14
Hard disc: Western Digital Caviar Black 500 GB

Thank you for your help.. : )

P.S.: Why my old CCFL TN Samsung Syncmaster T200HD didn't show any sort of banding or color errors? How is this possible? Better TN panel? 8-bit TN panel? My doubt is big..

Last edited:
I would guess the Eizo is a good monitor, they are quite a good company, though I've never seen that one. Another option you could look at is the Dell U2412M or U2414H. They are both economical IPS monitors that look pretty good. However do note they are 6-bit which means banding is possible.

If you are willing to spend up the NEC PA242W is just amazing. I'm a huge NEC PA fan (I have a PA301W personally). They are some of the best monitors for colour reproduction, and have amazing hardware calibration. The hardware calibration lets you do full calibration (including gamut) with no banding since they use high precision internal LUTs. Not cheap though.

my TN monitor from 2008 a benq 22inch doesn't have any banding and seeing straight up the colors are just fine. only problem is it is crazy bright and i have to run it on 0 brightness and 000 RGB!!!

your monitor might be defective. get it replaced if it is still in warranty. or do some reset in the monitor factory menu if there is such an option

The FS2333 uses LED PWM Dimming (Side Effects include increased motion blur and health issues) while the EV2336W is PWM free down to 20% brightness, has a height adjustable stand and matches the FS233's color and pixel response time performance (the EV2336W is faster since it is PWM free down to 20% brightness which is extremely dim). [H]ard Forum Thread & PRAD's Review. The new FS2434 uses a frame-less casing (frame-less monitors have an inner black bezel which makes blacks and dark content look washed out by comparison) and a grainier matte coating.

The most common version of the U2412 sucks (it uses low hz PWM and a very grainy matte coating), while the newest revision has a lighter coating and is PWM free, but there is no way to ensure one gets the newest revision while the similarly priced and superior Asus VS24AH or AL (can't scale external/console 16:9 resolutions properly), Asus PB248QE and BenQ BL2411PT are fine.

Last edited:
If you're concerned with color reproduction, don't get the FS2333. It's a 16.7 million color monitor. I had it and ended up returning it. Get a 1.07 billion color monitor. The difference is very noticeable.

My primary concern is to not have banding, but I also want to play Blu-rays and use console like PlayStation 3 with HDMI.. And maybe mapping resolutions 1:1..

Is there a difference in definition if a monitor doesn't map 1:1 a resolution? My old CCFL TN Samsung Syncmaster T200HD did map 1:1 I think because I had a option called "Just scan"..

If you're concerned with color reproduction, don't get the FS2333. It's a 16.7 million color monitor. I had it and ended up returning it. Get a 1.07 billion color monitor. The difference is very noticeable.

Too expensive and by the way I don't need this amount of color reproduction.. I only need to don't have banding.. Do you think the Eizo FS2333 or the EV2336 would be enough to see colors properly?
My Iiyama TN panel GB2488HSU-B1 is terrible with colors.. Everything looks like a low quality badly compressed JPEG..

Someone obviously has no idea what they are posting about.

Either you own a standard gamut 8 Bit +FRC (10 Bit with 1 billion colors) panel which offer almost zero advantages over a decent AHVA/IPS/PLS 6 Bit +FRC panel or own a wide gamut monitor which over-saturates colors and disrespects artists intentions.

Do you think the Eizo FS2333 or the EV2336 would be enough to see colors properly?

The EV2336W is better and is an excellent monitor, it is one of the only sub 24" monitors which can compete with the 27" 1440p monitors image quality wise.

Last edited:
The PA249Q is wide gamut and needs to be set to the sRGB mode to display colors properly, but the sRGB mode has locked color controls. Wide gamut monitors bottom corners glow more than non-wide gamut (normal) monitors, it has slow pixel response times (scroll down to see the measured pixel response times. The EV2336W is pretty much the same as the FS2333 but is PWM free) for an AHVA/IPS/PLS panel and has a frame of input lag. The PA249Q is better than the U2413, but is a poor choice for those who do not need a wide gamut monitor for work with programs which support color management.

The PA249Q is wide gamut and needs to be set to the sRGB mode to display colors properly, but the sRGB mode has locked color controls. Wide gamut monitors bottom corners glow more than non-wide gamut (normal) monitors, it has slow pixel response times (scroll down to see the measured pixel response times. The EV2336W is pretty much the same as the FS2333 but is PWM free) for an AHVA/IPS/PLS panel and has a frame of input lag. The PA249Q is better than the U2413, but is a poor choice for those who do not need a wide gamut monitor for work with programs which support color management.

The EV2336W would be the right monitor to buy if not it doesn't have an HDMI port..

So I'm still thinking of buying the FS2333 because it has an HDMI port and also a DVI..
But my main concerns about that are PWM flickering that I don't know if it would be noticeable..
Trailing in FPS and other fast material..
And the ability to see Blu-rays..

The EV2336W would be the right monitor to buy if not it doesn't have an HDMI port.

Connect it to your PC via Displayport and use a DVI-HDMI adapter. Not everyone can see PWM flicker, but it does increase motion blur and may still annoy you.

The Eizo FS2333-BK arrived and it looks like shit! Horrible banding all over the screen..
I seriously don't know what to do anymore.. Seriously people stay out of sight of LED backlit LCD.. CCFL forever.. My CCFL LCD Samsung SyncMaster T200HD didn't had any banding and I'm a very picky person so I'm not talking shit.

Iiyama GB2488HSU-B1 ... eh I tried this monitor myself couple of days ago (like you I made the foolish mistake of trusting Digital Versus). Really annoying banding/dithering for me too (makes films and some games unbearable to look at for me), but that is something I was expecting due to my past experience with TN panels. Too bad because it was a really responsive panel and dirt cheap. Viewing angles were also surprisingly good for a TN panel (but maybe that's how all TN panels are these days IDK, much better than few years ago anyway)

I'm going to try another TN panel soon (g-sync & ulmb this time) but I'm going to raise the bar and shoot for one of the 8 bit panels I think...

For now I'm back to my good old 77hz IPS panel (LG IPS226v) with no (or very little) overdrive. But eh, at least I can't see any dithering or banding (despite it being a 6bit + FRC panel lol) on it and the contrast is good while not being too bright or anything. I managed to get good colours with the OSD setting too, it's really sweet for me. It has some clouding but running with very low brightness like I am makes it a non-issue even in dark games/films - only the IPS glow remains a bit annoying.

It has no input lag either and it's perfectly playable even on Quake Live or so. But boy, do I wish for g-sync and ULMB (depending on the game)...

Last edited:
don't buy gaming monitors, problem solved.

what is your budget? can you handle 60hz monitors for gaming?

Obviously the Eizo Foris FS2333-BK is better than the IIyama GB2488HSU-B1..
There's less banding, the colors are vivid, the contrast is really good but in comparison with my old CCFL LCD Samsung SyncMaster T200HD is really shit in regards of colours and gradients.. I can't really accept as legal manufacturers selling monitors not capable of displaying at least 16,7 millions of colors.. How can you sell an IPS panel as "better" in terms of marketing if it looks like an early CCFL TN panel from Taiwan? :rolleyes:

don't buy gaming monitors, problem solved.

what is your budget? can you handle 60hz monitors for gaming?

My budget was 300-350 €.. I don't need anything other than 60 Hz..
Next time I'll buy a NEC Spectraview or an Eizo ColorEdge..
Or at least I'll try to sell my Eizo Foris FS2333-BK and I'll buy a NEC EA244WMI instead..

I can't afford all those high end brand names people seem to prefer but still like good hardware.

So for around the same budget I got one of those no-name 27" 2560 x 1440 IPS monitors fast delivered to me from Korea to the UK in 3 days. Same panel as the (three times as expensive) Apple 27-inch Cinema and Thunderbolt Displays, so the colours are good, but contrast is poor. Not sure if it'll meet the OP's standards, or risk level, but it fits the budget.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5885/the-achieva-shimian-qh270-a-350-27inch-wqhd-sips-display

Back