Need Networking Help - link speed

htpc_user

[H]ard|Gawd
I need some help/advice. I bought a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 and was not really blown away like I thought I would be with the range. One thing I noticed using my Galaxy S3 was that my link speeds were low. It didn't really seem to show in performance but I would see link speeds of 6 or 11, etc. Even when in the same room as the router it would show low speeds. So I ordered a TP Link Archer C7 which is what I was going to get to begin with. The link speeds on this seem erratic also, but are higher than the Nighthawk. However the range and signal strength is not as good as the Netgear. I am coming from a Linksys WRT54g, and I am used to seeing constant 54Mbps link any time I would check it. But the range on it was very poor. So I'm confused on what to keep and what to return and what I should really be looking at. All the different reported speeds vs. performance is not adding up to me.

Sounds like you have wireless congestion. Take a look with InSSIDer to see what channels are being used. Whatever has the least amount of channels on it pick either 1, 6 or 11. While you are at it look at the 5ghz channels and see if there is something broadcasting on the channel that your router is set to.

Any idea how to get NAT set to Open on the Archer C7? My son said when I installed the Nighthawk the NAT went to Open. I told him to check the TP Link this afternoon and it's back to Strict.

On an interesting note my other son's PS3 has had horrible quality streaming Netflix with the Linksys with resolution staying at 288 and 384. When I put the Nighthawk in it improved but I tested today and it was still hovering at 384. When I put the TP Link back in it was getting 720p and sometimes 1080. Funny thing is the Nighthawk had QoS enabled and some kind of streaming preference checked. His PS3 is in the room directly next door to where the router is. So theoretically he should have the best signal in the house. Also, I made sure nothing else was going on at this time on the network.

I'm torn over this. And I need to get the Netgear returned this weekend if that's what I'm going to do since Best Buy has a crappy 15 day return policy.

Edit: by Open NAT I'm referring to Xbox One

"Open NAT" needs UPNP enabled, you might need to "rescan" your network settings on your X360 and/or PS3 to enable it. Do you have the version 2 of the C7? You'd want to switch it for one if you haven't.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-CUAV7hWnP...EaU/RliFwPAoJOA/s1600/IMG_20140331_125941.jpg
Don't know if it says anything on the unit itself but I guess it also should do that.

The TP-Link uses Atheros/QCA WIFI which has better compatibility than Breadcom (Nighthawk) but that's just my personal experience.
//Danne

Back