Need my laptop to recognize 802.1q tagged traffic

Shadowspawn

[H]ard|Gawd
I install wireless PtP Motorola radios in Afghanistan. The final step in this radios configuration is to enable 802.1q tagging, assign the VLAN number, and reboot. This is all done through a web interface on the radio. Once it reboots, that web interface is no longer reachable and the rest of the configurations need to be finished remotely. This is all well and good until there turns out to be a problem with the local configurations. Since the radio is sending tagged traffic I can't get into it locally to confirm my configurations.

Is there a way to configure my laptop to recognize and use tagged traffic? I know Windows won't do it without help. Anybody know of some trick software out there?

Your hardware (NIC) and drivers need to support 802.1q. if your hardware and drivers don't support it, there is no 'magic' software out there which will help. Like burning CDs on a CD-ROM.

What NIC do you have?

CAn you remote into the head-end and check the settings that way?

It is an Atheros, and I just found the VLAN ID setting in its properties tab. I have already finished with this install and the radio is in production so I will have to play with this when I get back to my office.

I guess it makes sense that this would have to be a NIC configuration, but I figured there was some snappy little hacker app out there that could do it as well. In my search I found a little app that can vlan hop to sniff VOIP traffic. If that exists, there has to be something like I am looking for.

Back