Need mobo w/ onboard hdmi that can handle 1080p mkv playback

arnemetis

2[H]4U
Hello all,

My file server has been turned into a media center, but it's a little lacking in flawless playback. It's currently on an old am2+ board I believe, using ddr2 and has an x4 965 black processor in it. I'm outputting video over vga and stereo out to the tv. Unfortunately, the processor isn't really supported so its limited to 800mhz instead of 3.4ghz per core. I believe this processor, coupled with 4gb of ddr3 I have hanging around, should be able to handle 1080p movie playback smoothly with a decent motherboard. So any chipset/mobo suggestions that have an acceptable onboard video controller? It also has to have at least one good pci express x16 slot for my areca 1220 controller. Thank you very much.

I don't know of any current socket 938 motherboards, would you be willing to run a new CPU/ motherboard combo for cheap if suggested?

I would try to find a used 880g motherboard. I believe all should have HDMI, and in my experience, the 760g chipset (your only choice for using that processor with brand new boards) is rather anemic. It will do 1080p MKV, but on certain files with higher bitrates it may choke. You may also try to look for a 790GX motherboard.

If you want to buy new, get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128565

Thanks for the quick replies, just FYI the proc is socket am3, in case that helps. Was hoping to salvage it, but I'll consider replacement.

Dude, just pick up a cheap Celeron (haswell) G1830 or G1820 and a cheap board. Mine with a Micro ITX ASRock mobo in sig plays any MKV i throw at it, at 1080p, etc. I'm talking 20GB MKV files.

Well here's a deal today, how about this combo? Pentium G3258 dual core 3.2ghz and GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H LGA 1150 Intel B85?
*edit* Leapt too quickly without reading. that processor doesn't come with onboard video, so useless to me. Need more suggestions! Maybe I should make a thread in the general mobo forum as I'm not limiting myself to amd anymore?

Last edited:
How about this Asus 880G M4A88T-V EVO/USB3? I don't mind used, and at least it comes with an i/o shield?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
How about this Asus 880G M4A88T-V EVO/USB3? I don't mind used, and at least it comes with an i/o shield?
That looks pretty good :)
You'll need ddr3 as well.
That mobo looks real good for the money!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
880G has the HD4250, which should come with the dedicated circuitry for hardware decoding. It also has sideport memory, which means rather than using the system RAM, it will use its dedicated 128mb DDR3 RAM (I think it can use the system RAM if it runs out of sideport RAM). It'll be much better than any 760G board. I think the only board with a better iGPU would be one that has the 890GX chipset.

Could try picking up a 5670 or something similar for cheap, you can get them as half height cards too.

Also have you tried updating your bios? I had a mobo that locked my old x4 940BE at 800mhz and all I had to do was update the bios and it was golden.

Back