Need mobo advice

Fire488

Limp Gawd
I am going to be building a new gaming rig shortly and due to work and the lack of time to investigate the new hardware lately, I am at a loss. I built my list rig about 2 years ago and it is now i dinosaur. I am going to use the i7 processor (not sure which yet) or wait for the i9. I need to use a stable mobo that will support over clocking. I have my E6850 running at a stable 3.8 ghz right now (thanks to graysky).
What is the best mobo out there for what I am looking to do?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Go newegg and find same brand as you have now for the new socket. You are already used to the bios. Why confuse yourself. ASUS or Gigabyte . Somewhere just shy of $200 last I priced the mid range enthusiast boards.

The new boards/CPUs are faster but for a gamer, and if you are running a decent OC I would wonder if an upgrade to a high end video card might get you where you want to go.

Look at my sig, older than dirt now but it still plays what I want to play just fine.

If you want a new one just cause you want a new one, ok, fine with that. Just dont forget the video upgrade as well or your new speed demon will end up bottlenecked by an older video card.

I definitely want to go with the i7, but not sure which one. I need to start with the mobo though. I read most of the reviews on Newegg and now feel even more confused. How can 1 product have so many mixed reviews? People that had problems related to their own ignorance seem to put the product down for it.
Just need a good mobo to start.
seems the i7 has 2 socket types too so which is better?

Not trying to be rude, but do you think posts in an online forum are going to be more uniform or reliable than Newegg reviews?

Take some time and catch up on your reading, starting with socket 1156 and 1366, and decide which is best for you. If you don't have the time to learn, then pay a good system builder like Falcon NW to build one for you.

Thanks for the kind advice bald. The only reply I have for you though is that this "is" hardforum. It is not a social hangout for people that already have the answers. It happens to be "the" place to go when you are looking for answers regarding computers and whatnot.
I have answered questions based on info that I already have and it gave the forum user a headstart so to speak. I am just looking for info to compile to help make my decision.

note- Are you going to seriously rate the reviews from newegg and the reviews/advice from hardforums on the same level?

[H] is echelons above newegg reviews. mostly cuz im here. :D but srsly, it sounds to me like you need all new parts, not just a mobo. i recommend closing his thread and starting one over in general hardware. they have a sticky telling what info you need to give to get good advice. stuff like what you plan to do, price range, etc. do that and you will get some GREAT help, and for all parts. also mention if you want to buy used from the forums or new from sites. you can save 1/4 of the cost easily if you buy used, usually closer to 1/3, but youre then limited to whatever happens to be for sale. if you dont want to have to do the research yourself, thats the place. good luck!

EDIT: and if you have already decided on or bought any parts, let them know about that too. same goes to what youre reusing and dont need, like say a monitor/power supply/whatever.

Thanks for the kind advice bald. The only reply I have for you though is that this "is" hardforum. It is not a social hangout for people that already have the answers. It happens to be "the" place to go when you are looking for answers regarding computers and whatnot.
I have answered questions based on info that I already have and it gave the forum user a headstart so to speak. I am just looking for info to compile to help make my decision.

note- Are you going to seriously rate the reviews from newegg and the reviews/advice from hardforums on the same level?

This isn't a social hangout for people who already have the answers? (Or think they do?) I must have missed something.

Yes, I seriously rate all non-edited online forums the same. You might get some good reviews or advise, but there's nothing to ensure that everyone knows what they're talking about. You don't have to look very hard to find a post here that is simply, and sometimes comically, wrong. Don't believe me? Go look at the answers for PSU wattage recommendations. Or the performance limitations of 1156 chipsets when running Crossfire or SLI.

But the relative quality of H vs someplace else is irrelevant for your situation, because if you're not up on the basics - how are you going to be able to tell the difference between good and bad advice? That's why I said you need to do your own homework.

This isn't a social hangout for people who already have the answers? (Or think they do?) I must have missed something.

Yes, I seriously rate all non-edited online forums the same. You might get some good reviews or advise, but there's nothing to ensure that everyone knows what they're talking about. You don't have to look very hard to find a post here that is simply, and sometimes comically, wrong. Don't believe me? Go look at the answers for PSU wattage recommendations. Or the performance limitations of 1156 chipsets when running Crossfire or SLI.

But the relative quality of H vs someplace else is irrelevant for your situation, because if you're not up on the basics - how are you going to be able to tell the difference between good and bad advice? That's why I said you need to do your own homework.

My bad for not elaborating on this further. I do know the basics as I have built 2 gaming rigs prior. I am just looking for that little extra that [H] brings to the equation. The kind of information that you ask me to go peruse out there I thought was found here?.?.
This is the place to ask the questions regarding hardware. I am in the right topic, right forum, asking a legitimate question. The quality of [H]'s answers is not irrelevant; not at all. If I took your advice I will still be trying to figure out how to overclock. I asked basic questions in that forum topic on this site and was given good [H]ard answers.
Time is a concern to me as I am very busy, but buying a manufactured computer is NOT an option. I build my own. I was just looking for an educated shortcut on the newest hardware out there that [H] users have had experience with. Nothing more, nothing less.
Thanks.

Back