Need Mid-Range Receiver Advice ~Help!

flegg

[H]ard|Gawd
EDIT ~ THANKS I MADE MY PURCHASE

I have a ps3 and a Samsung ln52A550 (52" LCD) (Both recently purchased)

The speakers on the TV just don't cut it; sometimes I plug-in my Sennheiser 595 headphones just so I can hear people speaking more clearly in movies.

I was originally just going to go with the Logitech z-5500 5.1 system for $200. However now that I've immersed myself in the audio world and done quite a bit of reading I feel that it would be money somewhat wasted. Instead I should buy a decent receiver that is HD capable and has HDMI and get 2 good front speakers to go with it. This way I will be future-proof, happy with the audio, and capable of expanding to 5.1 later.

Misc notes that will affect my purchase choice:

I very very much want to stay below $500 for a receiver + 2 speakers, preferably $350.

I hate lag so much that I will use optical from the ps3 to the receiver when playing games ~ when playing movies/music I will switch the cable to HDMI to get the "HD" audio

I don't ever foresee wanting 7.1, but I do want to be able to expand to 5.1

Used is fine as long as it functions as it should and if anybody has something they want to sell let me know

I'm expecting that since I plan to get a receiver that is HDMI / HD capable it should last me for at least ten years, hopefully fifteen, before I feel outdated

Right now I'm looking at the Onkyo TX SR507 and I'm in the dark as far as what speakers to get

I'm considering waiting for the Onkyo HTX220HD amp/receiver 2.1 system to become more available/affordable in the US.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nice I will probably go with that. The only downside is it doesn't do Dolby True HD or DTS HD. But I'm not an audiophile ~ I'll have to see if I really want that or not.

Seems like I'm buying everything from Samsung these days... TV, phone, now this

-EDIT- I guess the PS3 can decode the HD audio and then send it over HDMI 1.3. So I guess I wouldn't be missing out on much.

Debating between Yamaha YHT-491 vs Samsung HT-AS720ST

Last edited:
The PS3 does NOT bitstream DTS or Dolby Tru HD. You have to rely on its internal decoder which is quite good actually.

BTW on its description page http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/...pe=hometheatersystems&model_cd=HT-AS720ST/XAA

A truly amazing surround sound experience calls for more than placing several speakers around the room. Dolby® Digital provides up to 5.1 separate channels of crystal-clear sound, and Dolby® Digital EX adds a center rear channel to expand the experience. Also helping to deliver a more captivating surround sound experience are Dolby® Pro Logic II, Dolby® Pro Logic IIx, DTS and DTS ES audio formats. Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD
pass-through support is also provided.

You are good to go!

Something that surprised even me! I was messing around with mine as I thought it was stuck in some kind of "theater" mode even tho the surround sounded fine. My tired brain failed to click that "SAT PLIIX" Means "Sat Dolby Pro Logic II X a modern version of pro logic 2 that is better for listening to 2 channel as surround"

Now before you say "What 2 channel?" Like I said earlier I have the HDMI set to 2 channel so I can listen to music on my computer in surround mode with the AV-R720's system instead of some silly software system. It sounds FAR better that way.

I know I am a lazy fool for not just running an RCA cable for coaxial digital. Yet going to 7.1 is a few clicks away if needed and I like listening to music while playing WoW. Also if I watch tv from the tuner the AC3 dolby digital 5.1 stream will override my settings anyway as will DVDs.

This receiver is a REALLY good investment in my view. I do hope you will buy it instead of the Yamaha. If you do let me know so I can help you with setup.

Yea the receiver seems like a good investment so I bit today.

Picked up "a major retail store return showing little to no signs of use" with extra speaker wire from eBay.

Was 350 shipped and I got $35 cash back from bing and $5 ebay bucks. So about $310

I'll let you know when it arrives.

EDIT ~ BTW if you have a samsung TV did you get anynet+ working?

Honestly I would've went with a Denon. Not because I own a Denon but they are pure and simply the best receivers I've had the opportunity to play with. I've used Sony/Pioneers as a reference. The only real downfall is the ghastly remote.

The reason I say to go with a real receiver and not something like a HTIB is upgrading. With a good receiver you will always be able to use it (sans new port technology) but I don't see HDMI switching to display port..Receiver technology doesn't change so drastically like TVs/PC Monitors.

Regardless, good luck.. Be careful with the Samsung.. I had a 40A530, died exactly 2 weeks after the warranty expired. $1150 TV is completely useless. I'm less than thrilled about that.

I was thinking about a Denon but it was hard to find a model that fit me ~ and I don't want an uber receiver because I'm ghastly afraid (probably incorrectly afraid) of the processing creating input lag and/or audio lag, video lag, out of sync etc.

This Samsung receiver does exactly everything I need it to do ~ supposedly ~ we'll see when I start using it.

From I've heard the Samsung will be a pain in the ass compared to a Denon to set up ~ but I have Zachstar here for support so I figured wth :-D

Anynet does work tho I don't like the idea of the samsung blu ray player turning everything on so I switched off the feature. You may like it tho.

And the only pain in the ass is the sepaker outputs. Just be sure to READ the manual before starting!

I was just hoping to be able to use the same remote for the Samsung TV and Samsung receiver
But yea the anynet is my least concern.

I own an onkyo 605 and it is great. Only thing to change is the # of HDMI inputs.....

I have the Yamaha RX-V663 that I got last year for $350. It's been an amazing receiver.

So did it come in? I am quite looking forward to hearing your report about it.

Oh one thing I forgot to mention. I also got mine from Ebay and during shipping the internal cable that comes from the AC line accidently got disconnected. Have a quick peek to make sure everything is in order from the vent on the top. And if the standby light does not show at first plug in. Disconnect and let me know here.

Came in today (21st). UPS sure had their way with it. Styrofoam was all but destroyed; fortunately I haven't noticed any damage except for a dent on the sub woofer wood at the very back. UPS guy just dropped it off at my door stealthily and ran away. But it looks brand new otherwise.

I don't know why I didn't buy an extra HDMI (or at least a digital optical) cable earlier so I need to wait on that before I really get into it (right now I just have one HDMI and RCA). The 100ft of extra speaker wire the guy threw in is friggin 24 awg trisonic so I figure I need to buy better speaker wire too. So far I just tested the center speaker and the subwoofer with red/white from my PS3 and with the FM tuner. Sounds excellent.

So far I'm very happy with the sound ~ I just need to get through these hassles. The menu is far from intuitive (as expected), but it is not too bad once you get used to it. I just wish they would've clarified what the differences are between the input mode and function buttons on page one!! (even though it seems obvious now) I also ran into the PLIIX thing you mentioned ~ was like wth?!? at first.

I wonder if this thing can upconvert at all, though for the price I don't care. I know it doesn't upconvert analog at all since I can't mix and match HDMI and analog (aka I can't go composite from the ps3 to the receiver and then hdmi to the TV). So I guess if it does upconvert (like so many websites say it does) it would be upconverting a 720p or lower HDMI signal to a 1080p HDMI signal.

BTW how did you mount the speakers to the wall? Hang or did you use a screw with a wood thread and a thread that goes into the speakers. (a screw I guess is obviously better but maybe not necessary)

Last edited:
I wonder if this thing can upconvert at all, though for the price I don't care. I know it doesn't upconvert analog at all since I can't mix and match HDMI and analog (aka I can't go composite from the ps3 to the receiver and then hdmi to the TV). So I guess if it does upconvert (like so many websites say it does) it would be upconverting a 720p or lower HDMI signal to a 1080p HDMI signal.
oops, i don't think you posted upconverting as a requirement, i don't think any of the posted links for the Samsung mentioned it either, they seemed almost deliberately vague to me.

What the ads do mention is "pass-thru", which normally means that the built-in hdmi is nothing but a simple switch, a feature available on most other new receivers.

Yea I didn't list it because I didn't need it; just would've been a nice bonus. The posted links and even the eBay listing didn't mention upconverting ~ just some websites you get when you google search ht-as720st.

So I was wondering if those websites possibly meant it can upconvert 720p hdmi to 1080p, though I would put money on that it doesn't ~ that it is just a simple switch like you said ~ which is actually what I prefer because I'm overly scared of input lag!

Hm, can a TV send a signal over digital optical if the input to the TV is coaxial? EDIT ~ nvm I'll just use RCA since it won't make a difference.

Last edited:
Hm, can a TV send a signal over digital optical if the input to the TV is coaxial? EDIT ~ nvm I'll just use RCA since it won't make a difference.

Ok you have to explain this to me as RCA (Analog) is never better than Optical/Coaxial

And my TV tunes into OTA TV and sends digital audio through the optical cable to the receiver.

Yea I didn't list it because I didn't need it; just would've been a nice bonus. The posted links and even the eBay listing didn't mention upconverting ~ just some websites you get when you google search ht-as720st.

So I was wondering if those websites possibly meant it can upconvert 720p hdmi to 1080p, though I would put money on that it doesn't ~ that it is just a simple switch like you said ~ which is actually what I prefer because I'm overly scared of input lag!

Its just pass through. Composite only. And it is not routed to the HDMI either.

Yea I'll mess with it when the cables come tomorrow. I think if it is a digital station it will send an optical out but not for the standard analog cable. I was stupid to say coaxial ~ I meant an analog cable signal.

I was thinking for analog cable digital optical wouldn't be much improvement over RCA but for digital stations yea of course. If that even works.

Those were stupid questions; at least they seem stupid to me now that I'm familiar with all this stuff.
What I still want to know is what screw do I get to hang the speakers?!

EDIT ~ found something http://cgi.ebay.com/5-PACK-BLACK-SP...in_0?hash=item5ad2c43186&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Still not sure that's what I'm thinking of though. What is that threaded inlet in the middle of the back of the speakers for?

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So the optical in starting working all of a sudden even for standard analog cable ~ seems to have something to do with the HDMI being connected between the TV and receiver (like the anynet function).

But yea, once I got this set up with HDMI on my TV and PS3.... the sound is unbelievably awesome for the price. And I don't have any lipsync/audio lag issues like a couple people complained about on the AVSforums. (actually though I did notice lipsync issues at first on a game but it went away after 5 seconds)

Still need to figure out what the threaded part on the back of the speaker is for.

Back