Need Keyboard LED help

Willsonman

[H]ard|Gawd
Links in FAQ are dead for keyboard LED stuffs. Modding a IBM Model M. Need to change the LEDs from green to orange. Any help on voltage rating or anything like that. I get bubkus on the board.

How could you possibly consider desecrating a Model M!? :D

Green LEDs have a Vf of 2.0-2.4V, and Orange LEDs have a drop of 1.9V. Chances are you'll be fine just dropping in the new LEDs. They'll draw slightly more current than the green ones, but the worst that can happen is they burn out a little sooner.

I'd say go ahead and do a straight swap. BTW, have you considered converting your Model M to usb?

Mmm... not considered it but am now. Got a link? Cannot seem to source Orange locally. May just go with clear and orange paint. I'm not willing to pay $9 for $1 worth of LEDs. Jameco wants $5 processing fee on top of the $3 shipping. Other places want a $25 minimum order. Its a tough call right now.

Tried those. I picked up clear locally for $4 so $1 each and spraypainted orange. Its inside a keyboard... same effect.

If you picked up white LEDs they may be dimmer than you expect once they're installed. White LEDs require a higher voltage, plus you're coating the lens. It's not dangerous at all--the worst that can happen is they turn out too dim and you have to spend extra time/money to get it right.

Oh no... they are super bright. Almost was blinded when I plugged it in for a test after all soldered up. That is when I knew it was the right move.

IMG_7015.jpg

IMG_7014.jpg

Just to follow-up on this.

Back