Need information regarding a couple of receivers Denon AVR-1082 and Yamaha RX-V861

kschaffner

[H]ard|Gawd
I am looking to pick up a new am as my dayton audio DTA-120 headphone port intermittently cuts out. Looking on craigslist I found the Denon AVR-1082 for $80, a Pioneer VSX-41 Elite for $100 and a Yamana RX-V861 for $125. I can talk them down even cheaper or even possible a trade but my knowledge is limited. Any insight would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks.

I currently have Dayton B-652 speakers, might get Pioneer SP-BS21-LR's here soon instead if they would be better.
and a Dayton Sub-1000 10" 100w powered sub, might replace with Pioneer SW-8-K if it would be better.

Last edited:
That yamaha vx861 shits all over those Denon's. Hell the 1082 won't even do 1080p nor are their 96hz dacs anything worth writing home about.

Get the yamaha if you really like your music. That's what they are built to do and when it comes to AVR's, yamaha dominates on the music side.

Denon's today are aimed towards home theater, something they are the leaders of when it comes to home theater AVR's. If you wanted to do them well in one box, you get an Anthem AVR.

Last edited:
Since it may be a smarter idea to get a refurb with a warranty, what about between these 2?

YAMAHA HTR-3064 5.1 A/V Digital Receiver Like RX-V371 ($140)

Onkyo TX-SR313 5.1-Channel 3-D Ready Home Theater Receiver ($120)

get that used yamaha.

FWIW, I'm using a Panasonic SA-XR57.

Onkyo's build quality and longevity is very questionable today. Get the yamaha.

I have been installing A/V systems for over 20yrs, Yamaha is hands down better than Onkyo.

of the three used receivers the Yamaha for sure

yamaha has excellent sound quality and in my experience reliability on their avr's

of the refurbs the Yamaha all day ... the onkyo's have had a pretty spotty record on reliability in recent years.

Back