Need info on what can cause a ping to suddenly jump

Paithar

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't remember what the specifics of my dads internet connection is (speeds that is) but he does connect via cable. Well, he does a lot of stuff online everyday and for the longest time he used to have an average ping of of like 50 to 60 so web pages loaded pretty fast. Well, just about a week and half ago he suddenly had an everage ping of 300 and some days it was even an average of 600. He told me that sometimes it took 5 minutes or more for web pages to load.

I did all the normal things like ask what he changed on his pc lately and the only thing that he had changed at the time was to try out a spyware removal program that runs contstantly and keeps spyware off of his pc. I had him disable that from running to see if it made a difference but it didn't. So then I had him run Spybot and Adaware and CCleaner as well as do a good and thorough virus scan. He said that everything came up clean, he even ran two different virus programs - Nod32 and Antivira (I think that's what it was).

The cable company has looked at everything and replaced all associated wiring and hardware that they can, including his cable modem but he still has an average ping of 300. Now, my dad does usually have a LOT of apps that run at startup of his pc. The aforementioned spyware app (don't remember which one it is at the moment), SoulSeek, Printer, MSN Messenger, about three different iPod programs (I don't know why he just does) as well as motherboard monitor and speedfan. There are others but I can't remember what they all are at the moment. The thing is, other than the spyware app all of these things would run on startup before when he had the good pings so I doubted they were really the culprit but I had him disable all of those that he could and then see what his ping was like. Well, his ping got a little bit better but it was still high, at around 150 or so.

I'm wondering if any of you have run into a situation like this and have any ideas for me. Also, do any of you know of any apps that I can get ahold of that could help see what's going on with his internet connection?

The cable company tried to tell him that if he was to use their own firewall, anti-spyware and anti-virus software, then he would get his ping back but I said that was bull. If he should only get a good ping if he runs their software then why was he able to get a good ping for such a long time without running their software. By the way the firewal he's running is Kerio Personal Firewall.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it because he now calls me on a daily basis to see if I have any solutions for him. Thanks everyone!

tracert is a good tool to determine what's going on, but if you aren't familar with the output, it can be confusing. I would try disabling the firewall and test it just incase it is the firewall.

You can see here that the hop between #2 and #3 added about 60ms of latency.

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 10.5.60.1
2 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms c2691-gateway.XXX.com [XX.XXX.XXX.225]
3 59 ms 85 ms 55 ms 500.MFR19.GW6.ORL1.ALTER.NET [157.130.207.41]
4 60 ms 48 ms 52 ms 0.so-3-0-0.CL1.ORL1.ALTER.NET [152.63.84.42]
5 94 ms 105 ms 90 ms 0.so-3-0-0.XL1.DFW13.ALTER.NET [152.63.98.121]
6 47 ms 62 ms 71 ms POS6-0.GW1.DFW13.ALTER.NET [152.63.103.85]
7 45 ms 199 ms 339 ms vl32.dsr02.dllstx3.theplanet.com [70.85.127.62]
8 46 ms 60 ms 46 ms vl22.dsr02.dllstx2.theplanet.com [70.85.127.76]
9 52 ms 58 ms 63 ms vl1.car01.dllstx2.theplanet.com [12.96.160.11]
10 89 ms 134 ms 64 ms www2.itotf.net [69.56.175.234]

Paithar said:
I don't remember what the specifics of my dads internet connection is (speeds that is) but he does connect via cable. Well, he does a lot of stuff online everyday and for the longest time he used to have an average ping of of like 50 to 60 so web pages loaded pretty fast. Well, just about a week and half ago he suddenly had an everage ping of 300 and some days it was even an average of 600. He told me that sometimes it took 5 minutes or more for web pages to load.

The ping would have little to do with the bloat on your computer. Unless it was some spyware that floods the port. Is this computer connected directly to the cable modem? Or a router? what are you using to measure the 'ping'?

Sorry forgot to mention that the computer is connected to a Linksys router. I did personally disconnect the router and hook directly up to the cable modem but ended up with the same results.

As for what I'm using to determine the ping, it's just the ping command at a command prompt in Windows XP Home edition. His pc specs go something like this...

MSI motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2800+
Seagate 250GB HD
2GB Corsair Valueselect RAM
Nvidia 6800 video card
21" CRT monitor (don't know brand)

I know that he has the latest bios for the motherboard because I checked that personally. He told me he went out and got a newer firmware for the router but he didn't tell me where he got the firmware nor what version it was.

As for using tracert, he did use that a couple of times when I wasn't there to see the output so I'm not sure what the results really were for it. I plan on going over to his house either tonight or tomorrow night and messing around a little to see if I can figure anything out.

I just don't understand how he can have a nice normal ping with an average of 50 to 60 for almost a full year then all of the sudden it jumps to an average of 300. We test the ping by pinging places like yahoo.com or other such sites. It always comes back fairly consistent no matter what site we ping.

Have you taken the router out of the picture to make sure it is not adding delay to your traffic? If so, and you still have this problem with several different PC's then you are going to need to call your ISP and get them to fix the problem. Congested backbone, mis-configured routing, etc...

Well, I did unhook the router and hook his pc directly up to the cable modem and the very first ping I did was awesome. I wanted to make sure it was still ok so I left the router unhooked for a little while and did ping about five minutes later and it was back up to 300. This told me it was not the router and so I hooked the router back up thinking it wasn't the problem but now I'm not so sure anymore.

I just heard from my dad. I'm not exactly sure what he did but he said he went in to the router's configuration and somewhere in there put in http and port 80. I don't know where he put these in at as he didn't really tell me. He then rebooted the computer. Over a period of a couple of hours he said he did various pings and now his average is about 70 or 80 with one every now and then reaching just over 100. To me it simply sounds as if whatever he did was just some kind of weird workaround for whatever the real problem is. He, however, is happy that he finally has web pages that load in a decent amount of time.

I'm still thinking that he's going to continue to have problems but I'll just have to wait and see.

Does anyone know of any resources that I can look at to tell me just exactly what tracert tells me? I've used tracert before but I didn't realize what all information is presented nor how to read it.

Paithar said:
Does anyone know of any resources that I can look at to tell me just exactly what tracert tells me? I've used tracert before but I didn't realize what all information is presented nor how to read it.

Look at the first reply, that includes tracert output.

1, 2, 3, 4, etc are the number of hops to that node (routers between you and your destination).

xxms xxms xxms are the response times ('ping') to said node.

the last column is the ip address (or name & ip) of that node.

run tracert when pings get bad. where the latency spikes is where the problem lies. if it's before you reach a 'net backbone, it's your ISP's issue. If it's before you get outside your own network, it's probably your computer/setup.

post the output of tracert here and someone can offer advice on it.

Back