Need info on setting up PC as WAP

Mnx4

[H]ard|Gawd
I can't seem to find information on how to make your PC a WAP. I don't have a wireless router, and I'd like to connect my Wii to the internet. All of my neighbors have installed encryption on their wireless routers so I can't connect through them. I have a Linksys wmp54g V.4 and I'd like to set that up as a wireless access point so my Wii can connect through my PC. Is this possible?

So you want something like,

Modem -> Computer -> Network Card -> Wii ?

If so connect the wireless adapter to the computer and set it up in ad-hoc mode with the Wii. Then set up ICS in windows. You should be able to connect then. :)

Yeah, that's exactly the setup i'm going for.

I had tried that earlier in the morning with no results.

Do I enable ICS on the wireless card or on the lan port?

I tried both with and without WEP, couldn't get a connection with either. The Wii reports that the connection had a good signal strength, so I'm sure it's just a setting problem for now. I'll be able to mess around with it more after work.

If you have a little extra money, you can get teh wii branded wifi dongle for 20 bucks used. Its pretty hackable and preconfigured for the wii.

Easiest way to setup the ICS is to go through the Network Setup Wizard. It will take care of putting the settings proper (there are some IP settings that need to be setup as well usually) and bridging the connections and such.

so the wii can see the ssid, it'll try to connect, but it keeps geting the error code 51031 about not being able to find an access point.

Back