Need inexpensive, light duty 32-bit work laptop - suggestions

facesnorth

Limp Gawd
I need to replace my 64-bit win7 lenovo g555 work laptop with a 32-bit one because many of the programs I need to run are not compatible. I just bought it 6 months ago but it turned out to be money wasted for that reason (anybody want a deal on it?) Also the trackpad is atrocious and picks up any stray finger movement bouncing the cursor all over the place while I'm trying to type. I like having a trackpad though rather than having to carry a mouse around. I need something lightweight, between 12-14" screen. Good keyboard for someone who needs to type fast, with a good trackpad that doesn't interfere. I also want it to have a strong wifi client adapter. It can be either XP Pro or Win7 just has to be 32-bit. I don't need a graphics card, although the option for HDMI out is nice these days (but not mandatory). I mainly use this for entering data in google docs, and web surfing, but also run audio and video calibration programs, as well as programs for programming universal remote controls for RTI, URC, Pronto, AMX, etc. And running various IT related troubleshooting/diagnostics programs. So nothing heavy duty. I just want those things I do run to be quick and snappy, and to be able to have several web browsers, and some of these programs open at the same time with no performance decrease.

Any ideas? Looking for something very reasonably priced (between $300-600). Thanks.

You sure you can't just install a 32bit OS and turn on the palm guard on your touchpad?

as said, save yourself a bunch of money, and just use Win XP mode, or buy Win 7 x86....

So far the programs haven't run in XP mode. I suppose I could install 32 bit win7.

What is the palm guard and how can I disable it? This doesn't disable the touchpad, right? Because I like being able to use it if it works properly. I used a Toshiba today which I liked a lot better than my Lenovo.

So far the programs haven't run in XP mode. I suppose I could install 32 bit win7.

What is the palm guard and how can I disable it? This doesn't disable the touchpad, right? Because I like being able to use it if it works properly. I used a Toshiba today which I liked a lot better than my Lenovo.

You want to ENABLE it. There will be a setting in your touchpad driver utility to turn it on. They might call it something else. Ignores slight touchpad movements while typing.

He doesn't have to buy Windows 7 x86, he's already got a license for the OS itself, just needs to get the x86 installation DVD and then transplant the activation info, etc. A simple Lenovo $OEM$ folder in the \sources directory of that installation DVD and he's done.

The touchpad drivers should either a) allow for a setting that ignores simple touches/brushes of skin contact on the touchpad or b) allows you to disable it completely (I never use touchpads or even trackpoint controllers unless I have zero choice: I use a wireless portable mouse or a full blown USB mouse always).

Just gotta put some time into the research of how to make the best use of the tools you've already got. The recommendation for using XP Mode with the current installation is the best and most simple solution to the OP's situation, however. That's the whole purpose for it: to ease the transition not only from XP to Windows 7 but even in situations where someone has the x64 version of Windows 7 and still needs that ability to run those older apps, which are probably heavily laden with some 16-bit code hence not running on Windows 7 x64.

XP Mode is free, and practically guaranteed to run all those apps on the same machine without changing a damned thing...

What sort of power do you need? You can probably get an off-lease Dell D620 or something of that sort for pretty dang cheap.

I've been meaning to reply sooner, thanks for the replies so far.

I think it's a good suggestion to reinstall with x86 win 7, although I don't understand the suggestion that was mentioned on how I can do it at no additional charge. Can that be explained a little more thoroughly, or else a link provided (I searched)?

The XP compatibility mode mentioned several times I had tried already, and unfortunately does not work for any of the programs I am having trouble with. I can't list all the programs right now from memory, but there are some programs from AMX, RTI, and other universal remote control related programs, as well as NetStumbler and a few other miscelanous utilities that I cannot get to work with 64-bit Win7, including the Bayer Contour USB blood sugar monitor..

And regarding the thumb guard, I've been searching on how to enable that as well, and I don't see any utility on my laptop that allows me to do so. I've done some searches, and can't find anything about any utility to improve this behavior, in fact most suggestions tell me to turn it off. I do NOT want to turn it off and use a usb mouse, it's not practical in most cases where I am sitting on a client's couch or chair with the laptop on my lap, and don't have a surface where I can use a mouse.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-...x-the-G550-ALPS-touchpad-problems/td-p/190409

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2011/01/lenovo-g555-with-updated-g550.html

http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3...guring-the-Touchpad-on-Lenovo-G555/m-p/232685

If this issue can't be corrected then I am still in the market for an inexpensive win 7 32-bit laptop that will satisfy the needs I mentioned in the OP. (why do all inexpensive laptops these days seem to be 64 bit only?) And note that it can't just be any deal that someone notices - I tried that already with this Lenovo. I need a keyboard that I can type fast on, with a reliable touchpad.

Last edited:
I'm actually surprised to hear that you've having problems getting the 32bit programs working in 7. I've never had a problem with anything 32 bit. Maybe I'm just having good luck?

Are there newer versions of the software? It just seems weird to go backwards instead of forwards.

I'm actually surprised to hear that you've having problems getting the 32bit programs working in 7. I've never had a problem with anything 32 bit. Maybe I'm just having good luck?

Are there newer versions of the software? It just seems weird to go backwards instead of forwards.

I'd love to be able to use the 64-bit OS, but these programs simply don't run on it. I've researched each of these programs, and it's well documented, even by the mfg.

Even though it's a 64bit OS... you can still run 32bit programs... everything I ever developed (programmed) has been done on 64bit machines but they were always 32bit executables.

Are you sure it isn't just an incompatibility with Win7? Because I've heard / experienced that before. But there shouldn't be any difference between 32/64bit of Win7...

Even though it's a 64bit OS... you can still run 32bit programs... everything I ever developed (programmed) has been done on 64bit machines but they were always 32bit executables.

Are you sure it isn't just an incompatibility with Win7? Because I've heard / experienced that before. But there shouldn't be any difference between 32/64bit of Win7...

Positive. They will work on 32-bit Windows 7, but not 64-bit. It's fairly commonly seen in my industry, I am quite taken that so many here are surprised by it.

I personally have a HP Probook 4530S
Intel i3 2310M 2.1ghz with 4GB DDR3 1333mhz ram, 7200RPM 320GB hard drive, and 15" for $450 shipped no tax!

Seems more like you are having an issue with lack of 64-bit drivers. You would probably have the same problem if you had used Vista as well. Everyone is moving away from 32-bit, and Microsoft won't be releasing 32-bit versions forever either.

I am sure they have or will eventually release new products that support 64-bit. To note, your existing license key should work perfectly fine for the 32-bit version as well. At some point you will probably have to get new equipment or end up buying used computers.

Back