Need high powered but SILENT UPS

pawstar

Limp Gawd
Hello Folks, I am in need of a high powered ups for my new system that I am currently working on. I was looking for something along the lines of 2200VA with expandable battery option for extending battery runtime. However, everything I have seen thusfar quotes a 45dba to 50dba noise level. Is there anything out there that is fanless at this power level, or at least runs silently UNTIL it is running of batteries? :confused: I need to be able to power a 1KW PSU, a 500W psu, a 30" LCD, a 20" LCD and a bunch of misc peripherals.

Honestly I don't know. Usually when I am looking for UPS's in that VA range....noise profile is the last thing I would worry about since the server room is already pretty loud.

I'll look around though.

only thing I can think of is daisy chain a quality UPS
you could take 2 Tripp-Lite 1000va UPS units from costco for $99/each and it's completely silent. I'm not sure if you'll find the exact requirement you're looking for.

You could put it in another room and run a (high-quality!) extension cord between the rooms. Or an electrician could hard-wire it inline. That way you don't need to worry so much about the noise.

SKy042 said:
you could take 2 Tripp-Lite 1000va UPS units from costco for $99/each and it's completely silent. I'm not sure if you'll find the exact requirement you're looking for.
Probably won't work, as the second will see the output of the first UPS as "dirty" when the first is on battery,
so then the second will also switch to battery.

Go listen to some of these, they are pretty quiet most of the time. ;)

unhappy_mage said:
You could put it in another room and run a (high-quality!) extension cord between the rooms.

No matter how high quality using an extension cord for a long period of time like that would be IMO a bad idea.

After reading a little more on the subject, I retract my suggestion. Here's an article on extension cords; interesting reading for all. Talk to an electrician; it'll only be a few hundred bucks at most to have wire run permanently, and you can upgrade to as large an UPS as you need in the future.

6ga wire would be enough for 37 amps :eek: I think that would be enough... I don't think a 6/3 cable would be very flexible, though.

davidhammock200 said:
Which would be about what 1600W?

Custom 6ga stranded copper or heavier, should do for about 100', I would think. ;)

For this application an extension cord would be an inappropriate solution no matter the guage of the wire.

SKy042 said:

Unfortunately, the problem with daisy chaining the UPS's would be the fact that the 1000VA UPS would easily be overloaded by the two PSUs that I need to protect and as mentioned earlier by davidhammock200 that the second would trip due to the power quality.

unhappy_mage said:
After reading a little more on the subject, I retract my suggestion. Here's an article on extension cords; interesting reading for all. Talk to an electrician; it'll only be a few hundred bucks at most to have wire run permanently, and you can upgrade to as large an UPS as you need in the future.

6ga wire would be enough for 37 amps :eek: I think that would be enough... I don't think a 6/3 cable would be very flexible, though.

Yeah, those were my thoughts exactly. I would really want to avoid having to run an extension cord to another room, trip over the cord & yank it out pretty much nullifies the purpose of the UPS not to mention the fact that the cord would wear out over time.

As for rewiring the outlet, that maybe what I might have to do if no other solutions present themselves, but I would rather keep that option open as a last resort.

pawstar said:
Unfortunately, the problem with daisy chaining the UPS's would be the fact that the 1000VA UPS would easily be overloaded by the two PSUs that I need to protect and as mentioned earlier by davidhammock200 that the second would trip due to the power quality.

Not neccesarily. A PSU only draw's as much power as the hardware requires......ie a 600w PSU does not draw 600w's at all times. Most likely you will just experience very short uptime on the UPS.

Why not use more than one UPS? I have a UPS for my monitor, and another for my computer. I have them mounted up under my desk so you can't even see them. One is a 200 watt UPS and another is 600 watt. However, two 1000 watt ones would probably mount up about the same and might provide you with your silent power. Put computer on one and rest of your stuff on the other.

Back