Need Help

Huggo_1

n00b
Hi, this is my first post here and I need some help. I just bought an Asylum GeForce FX 5200 256 MB AGP video card, on the quick install manual it says to disable the on-board graphics that is on my Motherboard. Now my problem is that I don't know how to disable it. Could someone please help me?

Specs: Sony Vaio Desktop with Windows XP Home Edition, Intel Pentium 4, 2.40GHz, 512 MB RAM, any thing else needed?

What model viao?
Go into the bios and be careful but look for the graphics part and disable it. then enable agp port. Check your manual or the sony site.

Should be as simple as going into start>control panel>system>hardware>device manager

Go to your display adapters tab, right click on the onboard graphics thingie and choose to disable it.

That should be about it as far as I know. Thats all I had to do at least.

Hit F8 or whichever key it is for your system...then go into the bios and look for the option to disable onboard graphics. (you'll have to do a reboot)

Thanks for all your help. I found the device manager and all, but i dont know what the on-board graphics is called so i dont know which one to disable.

P.S. Model PCV-RX851

You're looking for "Display Adapter" in "Device Manager".

If that doesn't do the trick for you, I'll bet someone can guide you to and through your bios to get it done. I prefer changing things like this in the bios. Just a personal preference, but I am comfortable working within the bios.

I just did a "Google" search for Sony and got to the computer support area. I notice it mentions your onboard graphics device is "SiS 651 Integrated Graphics". Do you have something like that listed in your device manager? If so, that's where you will begin clicking tabs to deactivate it. Once you find it, you may be able to right-click on it and get a tab with dialog that includes "disable", which you would chose.

Good luck!

WOW! Excellent link, OPUS1! I see they say the onboard graphics device CANNOT be disabled via BIOS!

Yea that really blows!
The brite side is you can run dual monitors :D

Thanks for all of your help everyone, it was very.........well, helpfull LOL. Thanks

Back