Need help..

elm669

2[H]4U
I bought a Acer Aspire 7740g about a month ago and created the factory "restore" discs to send it back to the as shipped state.. but I find it has too much bloatware and crap preinstalled. Was wondering if there was a way to either create or buy a windows 7 oem dvd like they used at the factory that installs a pristine win7 before they loaded all the junk on it.... I have the oem windows 7 home premium key and pid on the back of the comp if that helps. I checked the three install dvds it created and there are nothing but cryptic files on it. no signs of a win install folder. It appears to use a PQSERVICE partition

Last edited:
If you can acquire a Windows 7 Home Premium disc, you should be able to do a clean installation of just the OS from that media and use the key on the COA sticker - the Product Key, not the Product ID (they're related mathematically but the Product Key is what's needed to get it installed).

If that doesn't work then it gets more involved. There are a few forums out there online that specialize in teaching folks how to create their own "custom" reinstallation discs using legit Windows 7 media and COA/Product Keys; MyDigitalLife.info is one, and there are many others.

That's where you'll find the real scoop... ;)

PQSERVICE is a nod towards PowerQuest, the company that started the drive imaging "craze" over a decade ago with the introduction of PowerQuest Drive Image, quickly followed by Norton Ghost and many other similar products. Symantec eventually bought PowerQuest (they also created Partition Magic years ago), and merged a lot of the Drive Image functionality into Ghost - but in effect they basically ruined PowerQuest's good rep just because of the Symantec acquisition. Seems they do/have done that with pretty much every company they've ever touched, Norton itself being the most well known (Norton was its own firm long before Symantec walked in).

And yes, those discs just restore the factory image, you can't get Windows 7 from 'em...

I bought a Acer Aspire 7740g about a month ago and created the factory "restore" discs to send it back to the as shipped state.. but I find it has too much bloatware and crap preinstalled. Was wondering if there was a way to either create or buy a windows 7 oem dvd like they used at the factory that installs a pristine win7 before they loaded all the junk on it.... I have the oem windows 7 home premium key and pid on the back of the comp if that helps. I checked the three install dvds it created and there are nothing but cryptic files on it. no signs of a win install folder. It appears to use a PQSERVICE partition
What I would do is reinstall the computer. Then download this and update it, then run it. Next, visit the control panel and uninstall anything else labeled "Acer" or any other extra programs you do not need that are installed (you can just install updated versions later). Keep in mind, some of the Acer programs you may actually be using, such as function key tools, touch pad tools, wifi tools, etc. So either figure out what Acer provided programs your using, or find an alternative. Function keys, touchpad etc., will work without the Acer tools but they sometimes include software inside Windows to modify them.

Finally, install programs you do want on their such as browsers and plug-ins, Windows Updates, etc. Then go ahead and make an image using the built in Windows Backup image tool or your favorite 3rd party tools.

Back