Need help...

elm669

2[H]4U
Our pesky cat has chewed through the Ethernet cable running down stairs to the router for the last time. :mad: I need to figure out a way to cut out the cable and still have access to the wireless capable router.

I have a spare box setup with an Ethernet card and a wireless card, what I'm trying to do is get the spare computer to pass packets from the router across the wireless card to the wired network and back transparently . I guess it's called "Packet Forwarding"

from internet: [internet] > [router] > [computer with wireless and Ethernet] > [wired network] > [wired computer]

to internet: [wired computer] > [wired network] > [computer with wireless card and Ethernet] > [router] > [internet]

Is this possible? :(

Spartacus

2[H]4U
On the machine with the wired NIC and wireless NIC, go to Network Connections, select both of the NICS and create a Bridge. I think that will do it for you.

I had a customer where it was a pet bunny that chewed the ethernet cable and fried the NIC.

If I was faced with that I would run the ethernet cable inside the wall to make it inaccessable to the cat. Then I'd maybe run another exposed ethernet cable with 120VAC on it as "bait". :D

Was it the movie Christmas Vacation where the family cat chewed through the Christmas light wires and then the cat caught fire and ran under the chair? Funny movie. :p

Farva

Extremely [H]
Was it the movie Christmas Vacation where the family cat chewed through the Christmas light wires and then the cat caught fire and ran under the chair? Funny movie. :p
Yes, yes it was :D

Older National Lampoon was great, but now.....