Need Help: WMP 10 really messed up....

Hi, I recently was using Windows Media Player 10, and ran into some problems with some files, so I decided to try a fresh install of the program. To do this, I tried to delete the program using the "add/remove program" option in the control panel and then go to windows programs. I went through that process and it removed it from the start menu and desktop, but it is still in program files in the c:/ drive. Here's the problem: I went to Microsoft and dl'ed the player, but when i opened up the file to instal it, it alerts me that I am running an incompatable version of Windows. Now, I'm running XP Pro, and I tried three times to dl the XP version and still no go. I tried to restore my computer using system restore: still no go, it doesnt seem like anything chnaged because WMP is still gone and I still have the problem. I am generaly very savvy with computers, but this is driving me up a wall and I really need help (i do alot of video editing for school and use the player to test footage). I would greatly appreciate any help on trying to fix this issue.

If System restore didn't work, maybe an XP overwrite?

Cross-post to OS forum.. though this may be the better place for it.

well I absolutely detest WMP
for many of the same reasons I dislike IE, because of its integration to the OS when it fouls up it can do that in a big way, not to mention its self appointed role as a copyright cop

getting rid of 10 isnt all that easy nor I gather repairing it
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=861335
older versions you where able to rollback to the default version the OS came with

the only surefired way I know of would be to rip it out with XPLite and then reinstall it
but XPLite isnt free

and I wouldnt recommend reinstalling it anyway since there are such excellent alternatives

Im transfering this to operating systems since its really an OS issue at this point
and others may have a far better course of action for you
easier, less costly and drastic

but Id still say dont use WMP10

arkamw said:
Cross-post to OS forum.. though this may be the better place for it.

tsk tsk tsk

crossposting is highly discouraged :p

Ice Czar said:
well I absolutely detest WMP
for many of the same reasons I dislike IE, because of its integration to the OS when it fouls up it can do that in a big way, not to mention its self appointed role as a copyright cop

getting rid of 10 isnt all that easy nor I gather repairing it
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=861335
older versions you where able to rollback to the default version the OS came with

the only surefired way I know of would be to rip it out with XPLite and then reinstall it
but XPLite isnt free

and I wouldnt recommend reinstalling it anyway since there are such excellent alternatives

Im transfering this to operating systems since its really an OS issue at this point
and others may have a far better course of action for you
easier, less costly and drastic

but Id still say dont use WMP10

tsk tsk tsk

crossposting is highly discouraged :p

Of all the posts you've ever made, this one just about says it all. I'm impressed. :)

....and I agree. It's solid advice.

phfffttt!!! I didnt mention thermodynamics once :p

right now there are likely some arcane registry keys that are preventing the reinstall
if it was another ap theyd be realatively easy to find and delete
but searching the hive for mention of WMP and eliminating them will likely hurt far more than help because of its integration with the shell and security\hotpatches\security packs

Back