Need help with WXGA (1366 x 768) and my nvidia cards

douglas25

Limp Gawd
I recently picked up a Polaroid FLM-3701 37" LCD TV for $1799. This is a HD monitor with just about every video input I have seen. It has connections for DB15 (standard vga) and DVI . The problem that I am having is getting any of my Nvidia cards to work properly with it.

The LCD TV native resolution is WXGA (1366 x 768). I can make the LCD TV and Nvidia cards happy by using 1024 x 768, but it of course stretches the image and is not as good as it can be.

Has anyone had success on getting an Nvidia card to work at 1366 x 768? If so, what tools did you use to define the custom resolution. Also, I read alot that nvidia cards can't use resolutions that are not divisble by 8. Any truth to this and how do I work around it?

My nvidia cards are ti4600, fx5900xt and a 6800GT.

I know there is a way to make it work, I just need the details on making it happen. Thanks!

never had a problem with my Nvidia 6200 connected to a 32" LCD TV that uses 1366 X 768. I just installed the latest Nvidia drivers and it picked it up right away.

Are you using the Analog or DVI connection? Perhaps the card isnt getting the right signaling from the Analog.

This may be a TV issue. I have a 26" Sharp LCD Tv and the only resolution I could get it to run at max was 1280 X 768 @ 60 hz even though its native is 1366 x 768. This was the imposed limit by Sharp supposedly to protect the screen.

I would check the manual for the maximum supported PC resolution. Each TV manufacturer imposes limits on resolution the TV can do over DVI or RGB. For instance, I am typing right now on a 37" LG LCD tv that can only do 1024 x 768 even though its native is 1366 x 768. Similar to your problem I tried creating custom drivers that enable 1366 x 768 and they will either result in the TV reading Out of Range or no signal. Check the manual. Its usually under "Connecting the TV to a PC"

I hope you TV is not limited like mine are.

do you have the option in your settings to set it to 1366x768...if not then use PowerStrip to add it.

Thank you all very much for the suggestions, I will give them a shot and report back.

As others have said most of the time this is a issue with the screen. I wish more lcd tvs would let you run them at native res but a bunch do not. Good luck

TheGameguru said:
never had a problem with my Nvidia 6200 connected to a 32" LCD TV that uses 1366 X 768. I just installed the latest Nvidia drivers and it picked it up right away.

Are you using the Analog or DVI connection? Perhaps the card isnt getting the right signaling from the Analog.

Yup, you were 100% correct. Once I connected the DVI cable, instead of the analog vga cable, I was able to select resolutions all the way up to 1600 x 1200.

Thanks again for the help.

Back