Need help with Wireless Solution for Client ( moderate to advanced )

SixFootDuo

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a client with maybe 9 or 10 machines in an old loft in an older office building. They do not want wires everywhere so they asked for a very fast wireless solution for each box.

Before I ordered everything I brought in a few different pieces to play with.

I actually have about 10 or 11 of these new so decided to use this as my base pcie solution.

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GC-WB867D-I-Bluetooth-Frequency-Expansion/dp/B00HF8K0O6

To update this older intel wireless card these units contained, I bought one of these:

Wireless AC 9560 Intel 9560NGW 802.11ac NGFF 2.4G/5G WiFi Bluetooth FRU 01AX768. These have greater range and can throughput 1.73 gigabit along with having Bluetooth 5.0

I noticed as I removed the older Wireless card that it had two notches and not one like the new 9560 card had. However it fit perfectly into the slot on the pcie card.

I installed the card, the drivers installed but no bluetooth or wireless option ( icons ) on the taskbar. I would expect a driver error if the card wasn't present but got no error warnings during driver installation. Intel is actually very good at alerting you to ( device not found ) etc.

Here a pictures of the different wireless cards I have. A picture of the older card, the newer card and the additional card I just found on eBay.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I should also note I did find another model, the Intel 9260 that does have the 2 notches a the original Intel wireless card I pulled.

Could my problem really be related to the keying? I wouldn't think so.

I also disabled Bluetooth and Wireless in the Bios. This would not also count for the add-on card? I'm sure that's for onboard only.

A 3rd consideration is that the older software has some how mucked up the new software installation.

8260NGW.jpg 9260NGW.jpg 9560NGW.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I know when I installed a newer one of those chips into one of my older motherboards, I had to modify something in the BIOS to make it work with anything other than the one it came with. I also had to physically block off (with a piece of electrical tape) one of the "pins" on the new card, as one of the pins on the motherboard powered a pin on the chip that essentially told it to turn off. Or, it was the chip that told the motherboard to turn off the slot. I can't remember as its been far too long ago.
I suggest looking up if others have had to do anything special to get the two pieces of hardware you're working with to work together.

this makes sense, possibly. I'll dig around a bit more and see if I can find more information. Thanks for giving me a place to start.

Further research revealed that I in fact need a newer slot / hardware features, I think. There is another part that has the same functionality and features but is designed for my hardware. The Intel 9260 card.

Last edited:
Further research revealed that I in fact need a newer slot / hardware features, I think. There is another part that has the same functionality and features but is designed my hardware. he Intel 9260 card.
Good to hear you made some progress on your research. I never would've thought that something with (apparently) all the same pins, shape, size, etc wouldn't be compatible. I thought we had gotten to the point with computers where we could assume that if it fits, it should work. Boy, was I wrong.

Good news is, anyone of you can piece together amazing fast and solid pcie Wifi cards just using parts. The Intel 9260 card is $15 to $20 a unit and the bare pcie card with bracket / antenna leads and antennas is around $12 to $15+ a unit. So about a $35 investment all said and done. This card would rival any $100 wifi card out there or at the very least match it. I think ....... lol. Never say never right. Someone will come along and prove you wrong.

Ahh, here is a good solution for anyone looking for about the best Wifi card you can get.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-G...=item3b17cc37ba:g:Jf8AAOSwAV5baZO1:rk:33:pf:0

Odd, these cards are not being sold in the US just yet. Wonder why. Not finding these anywhere as far as the main web portals / e-shops are concerned.

This is basically what I was trying to build / piece together for cheap.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back