Need help with wireless settings

Swede88

Lurker
Hey folks. I have a problem which I think most of you can probably solve, but as for me I'm clueless in this area.

The problem is that my wireless connection won't allow more than one person to connect at a time. This is true 90% of the time; it's rare that two or more can connect at a time.

Basically the setup is my desktop PC with:
Surfboard SB5120 cable modem
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 router

So, once me or my wife connect to the wireless network via our laptop, the other person is not able to get on with their laptop even though the signal strength is great, etc... The icon in the systray just states that you have limited or no connectivity.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'm hoping this is posted in the right forum =D

Check the max number of dhcp clients in the router's web config.

In addition, try assigning static ips to the machines.

So I'm looking at the DHCP settings and it states this:

DHCP address pool: [IP Address] for up to 64 DHCP Connected Devices

At the bottom of the screen it lists the Current DHCP client information and what's interesting is that the IP address it assigned to my laptop (I'm configuring the router from my desktop) is the same one that would be listed in the [IP Address] field up above.

Should these be the same? Because in other sections it lists the router's IP Address as one digit less (this could be perfectly normal and I'm just stupid, so I apologize).

Sorry, ignore what I said about that. I read the manual again and I made a mistake by speaking about something which I didn't fully understand.

I think after reading through the manual, I should probably try switching from "auto channel" to a specific channel and see if that does something. I'm not exactly sure how the wireless channels work, but seeing as how I live in an apartment complex I thought there might be interference. I'm not sure if this line of thinking is logical, but it's worth a try.

Back