Need help with wiping/set up of a HP DL360 Gen 9 server

poconopc

Gawd
So work just gifted me a lightly used DL360 Gen 9 , 2-2690v3 , 768gb Ram and 6 - 200 SSD drives.
I am not really familiar with setting these up. What is the easiest tool to boot with so I can wipe the drives and go with Server 2019 or Suse Enterprise Desktop?
I am going to connect it via ethernet since I dont have any fiber equipment. What is the iLO used for?
Would VMware be a better choice?

Thanks

Just use the installation tool to wipe the drives when your installing the os.

I would go with esxi on a server like that, its nice to be able to delicate resources and test operating systems independently.

Damn that's awesome! The ram alone is probably worth $768+ in the used market. :eek:

You pretty much set it up the same as any other system. The key thing is to set up your raids, etc first. Then they're just drives.

Proxmox is another bare metal hypervisor that would work great on that.

So work just gifted me a lightly used DL360 Gen 9 , 2-2690v3 , 768gb Ram and 6 - 200 SSD drives.
I am not really familiar with setting these up. What is the easiest tool to boot with so I can wipe the drives and go with Server 2019 or Suse Enterprise Desktop?
I am going to connect it via ethernet since I dont have any fiber equipment. What is the iLO used for?
Would VMware be a better choice?

Thanks
If the docs are correct, 'Intelligent Provisioning' available by pressing F10 at boot has a way to erase all connected discs.

iLO is a remote console / management tool; it's the HP version of IPMI. You should be able to get a console, turn on/off, see temps and fan speeds etc through the iLO. Looks like HP likes to sell licenses for extra features, so you may be able to boot from a virtual disk via iLO, or maybe not. It can be pretty handy sometimes.

You could just run Windows 2019 / 22 Server with Hypervisor Role installed and play around with VMs 🤷‍♂️👍
You can, but then you have a hypervisor on top of an os and then another os. A bare metal hypervisor only runs the oses in the vms.

You're right - but then you're fixed of running VMs and you can't access all the Hardware at once (what you might want to do if you'll use that server as a kind of a workstation).

Depends ... everything has pros and cons ...

You're right - but then you're fixed of running VMs and you can't access all the Hardware at once (what you might want to do if you'll use that server as a kind of a workstation).

Depends ... everything has pros and cons ...
True, but with the OP's specs, it will be one heck of a task that will eat up all those resources in one go. You could easily run 40+ win 10 instances on that hardware, each with 16GB of dedicated ram. :eek:

Just use the installation tool to wipe the drives when your installing the os.

I would go with esxi on a server like that, its nice to be able to delicate resources and test operating systems independently.
Thanks all , yeah I found the tools in the Intelligent Provisioning. Made a simple array all set.

Damn that's awesome! The ram alone is probably worth $768+ in the used market. :eek:

You pretty much set it up the same as any other system. The key thing is to set up your raids, etc first. Then they're just drives.

Proxmox is another bare metal hypervisor that would work great on that.
Actually the Ram is worth almost 1500. It's DDR4.

Back