Need help with Windows 2k server & exchange server

I'm the youngest in a very small company, so I am gifted the task of server management, whenever the server is on the fritz.

Here is the latest. The c drive is almost completely full, and I am trying to gain some space by getting everyone to archive their 6 month old emails to their machines. So far we have archived about 500 mbs of emails, but the server's c drive still shows the same amount of remaining space. Is there some sort of lag from when the archive happens to when the server will completely delete the file. Thanks

What version of Exchange are you using 5.5, 2000 etc...

if its 5.5, exchange does not resize the priv.edb and pub.edb whenever you delete or removed data from the users mailbox. You need to defrag the DB using a util called eseutil.exe

Also some other things. Is the pagefile on the C: drive if so move it to another. How about any backup's from service pack's that have been installed.

J said:
What version of Exchange are you using 5.5, 2000 etc...

if its 5.5, exchange does not resize the priv.edb and pub.edb whenever you delete or removed data from the users mailbox. You need to defrag the DB using a util called eseutil.exe

Also some other things. Is the pagefile on the C: drive if so move it to another. How about any backup's from service pack's that have been installed.

I'm very certain it is exchange 2000. I can go log on the server and check.

Yes the pagefile is on the C: It will have to remain there, our server isn't very large and the partions used for work are almost full also. We do have a dump drive, but it isn't backed up, so I can't move it there either.

I believe I know what you are talking about with the updates. When I was in the winnt directory there were about 20 folders that all looked like $ASE78658765876 and the file names inside did appear to be from windows update. Is it okay if I delete all of these folders?

Thanks

I checked, it is exchange server 2000. And there are about 30 folders in the winnt directory that look like $uninstallwinnt62536235

you dont need to backup the pagefile, put it on your dump drive. You can delete those folders and files if you plan on not doing anytype of uninstall of the hotfix's.

Another thing before you delete any of them. Before you change anything, do a full offline backup of everything on that system. make sure its good and then have at it. Nothing worse the turfing a server only to find that your backup has issues.

You could also buy another drive and slam it in the thing.

A couple things with Exchange 2000:

The priv.edb and pub.edb will not resize themseleves after getting smaller, they just keep the space for the future.

Check your 'c:\exchsrvr\mdbdata' folder and see how much place it is eating up. If you don't do backups on the infomation store, it writes log files off to that directory and will never remove them, which will eat a ton of space depending on how much traffic you have.

You could also add a second drive, then using disk managment extend the c:\ partition to the new drive.

Sid said:
You could also add a second drive, then using disk managment extend the c:\ partition to the new drive.

We have a raid, otherwise I would have already done that.

Okay, I still need some help on the original topics, but I have a new one now also.

I was able to clear 500mbs by doing the windows disk cleanup wizard. I'm now up to 600mbs of free space on the C drive. However, the insane beeping will not stop. Is there some utility I need to be going into to reset the alarm?

What's causing the beeps? It's got to be a piece of software installed on the server, because windows does not do that by default. It's most likely some software that came with the raid controller, see if you have anything to turn off the alarm on it.

If your drive is that full, you need more space then. If you have some other partitions, move the exchange IS over to a different drive, along with the log files. That can all be done in the Exchange System manager, but it will take a while to do, so you may want to do that when no one is around. Trying to juggle an exchange IS on a drive that full is playing with fire, I'd get some more drive space if at all possible. Most raid controllers allow you to add more drives to the raid-5 array with their utilities, so that might be an option.

Hey guys, just to update what was wrong. We had one of our SCSI drives fail. Did a RAID rebuild last night and things are working fine.

I have some more exchange questions, but I will start a new thread for those. I appreciate everyone's input.

Back