Need help with remote desktop on win 8.1 pro

Jaa-Yoo

Limp Gawd
Im trying to use remote desktop to control my htpc with my tablet. Both have win 8.1 pro installed and the htpc has been set to accept remote connections. Whenever i try to connect though, i get an error:
Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons:
1) Remote access to the server is not enabled
2) The remote computer is turned off
3) The remote computer is not available on the network
Make sure the remote computer is turned on and connected to the network, and that remote access is enabled.
My google-fu hasnt yielded very much success on resolving the problem, so here i am, asking for help. :)

edit:
I poked aruond some more and got it to connect by disabling the firewall. Now that i have the connection, i have another problem.
I was hoping to mirror the display, but instead the htpc display logs off. When i log back in, the connection ends. Am i missing a setting somewhere, or am i expecting the wrong results from remote desktop? :)

Last edited:
RDP isn't remote control, you need to use VNC, TeamViewer, Dameware, etc to remotely control your HTPC and keep the output going (instead of logging off)

Yeah what DB said, you can't do what you're trying to do through RDP. Try logmein, google chrome's RDP, or one of the options listed by db.

Ok thanks guys.
When first looking into it, i read on another forum that remote desktop was the best way to go, obviously it isnt. lol I'll look into one of the other options you listed, thanks again.

I used both RDP and VNC and ultimately preferred RDP.

Yes, the annoying part is that it logs you off but my work around was to put a restart shortcut on the desktop and double click that every time I was done. My HTPC had an SSD so it really didn't cost much time to have it back up. It was just a lot easier to work with RDP.

[L]imey;1040563433 said:
Yeah what DB said, you can't do what you're trying to do through RDP. Try logmein, google chrome's RDP, or one of the options listed by db.

You might wanna skip logmein, since they discontinued their free service

Back