need help with partitions

lukeh182

Gawd
i have two partitions one is ntfs with XP installed. the other is just a raw partition. is there a way that i can just delete the second partition and add it to the first partition without using any partition software? i have no partition magic or the like. can i do it through XP without reinstalling windows?

if you dont want to use a 3rd party software then you have delete all the partiions on your computer. that means deleting everything. making your hdd raw
download windows 98 disk, boot up write fdisk
select delete non logical disk
by the way i am doing this out my head what ever i remeber
and after u delete it, press 4 and check if the other partion there, what type of partion it is. press 3 to delete and delete the hdd. restart your computer without making partion. xp makes them during the setup.
put your cd in and restart and follow the directions.

There are some open source utilities from the ntfs driver/utils for linux that can resive ntfs partions, but you're taking your data in your hands by doing that.

Is there any reason why you just don't make the other raw parition into another ntfs drive?

If you absolutely need to make one large parition without 3rd party tools, you will have to reformat. You do not need a win98 disk though. Just reinstall XP like normal, when you reach the disk partition interferace, simply delete all the partions and recreate a new parition that spans the entire space. Way easier than clinging to a win98 boot disk ;)

how about converting it to a Dynamic disk? Isn't that supposed to allow partition resizing?

Back