need help with packet loss

g|aSsJaw

Limp Gawd
Before I went to LA (wednesday) my computer was working fine. When I got back last night, it was not.

The internet is running really slow. At first I thought this might be our connection, but my brothers computer is running just fine and we are on the same network. I checked the status of my LAN connection and noticed that even if I disable it and then enable it, or restart my whole computer, I am only getting about half as many packets as I should be.

currently its sent about 48,900 and I've received 18,900. What, in such a short amount of time, could've caused this problem? what should I look into doing in order to fix it? Thanks for any input.

You dont necessarily recieve a reply for every packet you send out - especially if its UDP or ICMP packets. If what you're seeing is different from your baseline then you might have a problem.

I'd do a packet loss test either with pathping from the command prompt or using a tool like whats available from broadbandreports.com. Also check your cabling and check your computer for viruses.

^^^^
DITTO

You will almost never get 1 to 1, send to receive so it is not necessarily an issue...

Back