Need help with offsite storage network issue....

CarlsonCustoms

Limp Gawd
First off, thanks for looking.

My and a friend of mine need some help. We live in adjascent buildings in an apartment complex. We would like to have each other hold a hardrive networked so we can backup our stuff offsite easliy.

I run a Mac hooked up to a Linksys WRT54GL with tomatoe firmware (can go back to ddwrt if needed). That would be in my house so he could hook up to my router.

He runs linux boxes and has a Linksys WRT54GS with ddwrt firmware. I already own a Promise Nas that I would hook into his house for my backup needs.

He only has USB external harddrives but he can buy a nas enclosure if needbe.

We have line of site to each others apartments and its probably 100 yards away clear sky. We figured we'd both need some external antennas running outside to get clear signal.

The problem we are coming up with is how to network these so that they are secure and we can't see each other's files.

My idea would be to each buy a wireless extender and put them in each others house to extend our own networks. AKA My personal router would connect to a wifi extender in his apartment which has my NAS connected. I would log into it just like I would when its connected to my reg. router now.

He would have a router extender in my house with his harddrive connected so he can use it like it was local to him.

The issue we are trying to avoid is having to use the interenet becuase we'd both go over our 250gig cap with comcast.

He had an idea of connecting the nas to his existing router and setting it up on a different subnet so that only I could access it and he'd do the same in my house.
I don't completely understand his idea yet.

If anyone has an idea how to do this easily and most cost effectively would be great.

To recap:
I have a NAS and WRT54GL router
He has (TBD hd enclosure) and WRT54GS router
Line of site is available so signal with external antennas should work easily.

The networking aspect is what we need help with.

Thanks for any ideas

Zack

Just so I'm understanding you...

You want to put your NAS in his house and his backup solution in your house and make it so only you can access yours and he access his?

Just so I'm understanding you...

You want to put your NAS in his house and his backup solution in your house and make it so only you can access yours and he access his?

If thats the case, then all you would need is two wireless bridges, one from your nas to your network, one from his nas to his network.

the bridge idea is what I thought. And yes I want to access a nas I own but it his house and the same for him

I would just setup a wireless bridge and 2 VLAN's. Your going to need to put DDWRT back on your router though. I don't think Tomatoe supports VLAN.

Back