Need help with new install of xp pro

troisanh

[H]F Junkie
Everything running stock:

gigabyte p35 ds3r + e6700
gskill 2g hz, BR/dvd-rw, hd3850 256mb
2 250gb (raid0), 1 750gb - all seagates
corsair hx520 + new oem xp pro sp2 32bit

Now this is a rebuild so id figure new install is way to go. No problems getting OS installed on raid array.

Steps:
1. install xp pro sp2 on raid array, F6 from floppy
2. do chipset drivers, lan then usb all from mobo CD with reboots inbetween drivers.

Now my problems is when i try to connect to internet to install windows updates. When i open new window for IE 6 all i get is blank page even when homepage is set to google. When i manually enter an address in internet address bar, i can then fully use IE.

On reboot the same problem comes up again, blank page with IE. But once i enter a web address in IE address bar, it can be used fully again until restart/reboot.

Note only chipset, lan and usb drivers have been installed with sp2. In control panel/system/hardware drivers are installed and working.

Am i doing something incorrect when installing xp pro? Perhaps some hardware issue? No AV or firewall but box is behind a dir-655 router connected via wire.

This is driving me nuts though ive build around 20+ machines with 100 installs of 98, xp pro, and even vista and this is first time ive come to this problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe... reinstall XP again? Can't hurt at this point, and would more than likely resolve the issue(s) you're having. I know it seems ridiculous, but I've installed Windows OSes like, 175K times over the past two decades, and I've seen this type of stuff countless times... I get sick of spending hour upon hour hoping to resolve it, and I finally say "Fuck it" and reinstall clean and wham, it's gone.

I tell people that installing Windows is different each and every time - and no one ever believes me, but it's true. Every computer OS is different every single time you install it, even on the same machine, from the same exact installation media, in the same optical drive, etc. I can't explain it, and after so many years of trying to figure it out, I just learned to say "Fuck it" and move on.

It's a lot less stressful now, I assure you. :)

Honestly, from a technical standpoint, and from a POV where I'm at and not being there hands on to look at the situation in front of me, I would always suggest starting over. When I do a clean install on a machine I install the OS and then immediately do an image before I proceed further. I mean as soon as XP is done on a client machine, when you get that "Copying files - 1 minute remaining..." I push eject on the CD drive (Windows is done with the CD so at the 2 minute point remaining you can eject it) and then put in my True Image CD so when it reboots, I capture the clean install pre-first boot (pre-OOBE also) and then image that clean to another partition and move on with drivers, etc.

Never fails for me, and if I get mucked up at some point, all I have to do is back up one single step instead of starting all over again. Today's machines can make an image of a clean XP install in under 60 seconds - that's a lot less troublesome to start over with than really doing an install, wouldn't you agree?

Any order ideas guys? still getting stumped hard, and yes tried image before chipset drivers etc and still no go.

PROBLEM
Content of Web pages is not displayed by Internet Explorer when opened in a new window.
This problem may occur with both Internet Explorer v5 and Internet Explorer v6. If you click on a link that should open in a new window, or if you shift-click on a link and choose "open in new window", only a blank window is displayed.
SOLUTION
To solve this problem close all open applications and then open a command prompt (to do this select Run from the Start menu) and in the Open: box type:
regsvr32 /s urlmon.dll
It is not necessary to restart the computer.

So your saying that in the address bar it says about:blank ? or are you getting an error?

So your saying that in the address bar it says about:blank ? or are you getting an error?

after computer is booted up and once windows is loaded, when i atempt to access the internet via IE, all i get is a blank IE page. Even though google is set as home page. But if i go to IE address bar and manually enter say, 'www.google.com' then enter, IE acts normal afterwards. Until reboot that is. Will try the command prompt solution and see if it works.

What kind of format did you do? Also, is the HDD new or already had windows on it before?

I always do a low level format since a Windows format only removes the table and not the data. Basically when you do a Windows install after only formatting during the setup, some of the old files can still transpose under the new install and cause weird shit to happen at times. The low level will write zeros across the whole drive eliminating any of the old data. I use Maxtor's PowerMax for just about any brand of drive.

Did you try panhead's suggestion? It takes 10 seconds, and could save you from a reinstall, if it works.

Back