Need help with new CPU for build, been awhile!

Marcdaddy

2[H]4U
Hi guys now that my son is older and really into PC gaming im giving him my 6850K setup coupled with 2 1080 cards. I mostly game but would like to stay with a 6 Core or possibly 8 Core chip, Big question is I will be running 2080 tis in sli and I am curious about the amount of PCI lanes available from a newer cpu. My 6850K when testing showed a hit when cards weren't running in 16X by 16X mode to each card, Im gaming at 4K and was wondering if this is still a issue. Budget on CPU/MOBO combo is $1200 tops.

I agree with Lastan010. But if you already have the two video cards and you don't want to get rid of one of them, you would need at least an i7-9800X, which supports up to 44 PCI-E lanes. If you're not married to Intel you can also consider a Threadripper 2920X. It's a 12-core/24-thread CPU that supports up to 60 PCI-E lanes compared to the 8-core/16-thread 9800X and goes for around the same price. The 9800X is just a little hard to find right now.

Is memory figured into your budget?

No the price was just a MOBO/CPU price. Looks like memory prices have dropped recently.

Back