Need help with my PSU

Lakados

[H]F Junkie
I was running a Corsair 850 Platinum with my Ryzen 3900x and my 2080TI, it recently started just crashing whenever I launched a game. Replaced it with an old 700, while I did an RMA So I got the RMA back and the new Corsair 850 is doing the same thing, so I said F This and put in a Seasonic Focus 850, only to have the same problem. I can't believe I have 3, 850W PSU's that have failed while my 8 year old 700 is rocking strong. The far more likely event here is I am doing something wrong with the PSU hookup. But for the life of me I can't figure it out. Any and all constructive commentary is greatly appreciated.

If you are using a UPS, bypass it and plug straight into the wall and see what happens.

If you are using a UPS, bypass it and plug straight into the wall and see what happens.
I am using a UPS, but we have really bad power here I am pretty sure I know what will happen if I run it too long directly connected to the wall. But it's worth a shot, but why would it affect the 850's but not the 700?

Giving a bit more info about your hardware would be helpful. Corsair makes more than one 850w that is rated for 80-Plus Platinum, so just saying "Corsair 850 Platinum" doesn't really tell us exactly which power supply you are talking about. What is the model of your 700w psu? What motherboard are you using?

Some PSUs use a single 12v rail. Some PSUs use multiple 12v rails. Some PSUs have a switch so you can choose between single or multiple rails. Which one applies to each of your 850s? If your PSU has multiple 12v rails, then depending on how it's hooked up, it's possible that you were overloading one of the rails instead of spreading out the load evenly.

When you test with the 850s, I'd try to run more specific tests. You claimed that it crashes whenever you start a game. Does it ONLY crash when starting a game, or does it crash in other situations that present a heavy load? If you ran Prime95 on your 3900X for example, that would use quite a bit of power even though it has nothing to do with the GPU. You could try furmark, which will stress your GPU even though it isn't a game. Trying to figure out exactly which circumstances cause a crash might help figure out exactly what the problem is. Do you have another videocard besides your 2080ti that you can swap in temporarily?

Why did you stop using the 700w btw? Is there anything actually wrong with it, or did you just replace it because of age? I'd look inside, and as long as it doesn't have bulging capacitors or any other obvious bad signs, then just stick it back in there and use it. Sell or return the 850s.

Original PSU: Corsair HX850i
The 700w I pulled from my wife’s PC, one of my old systems. It is a Corsair GS700 which isn’t modular and had all those extra cables making it a very tight fit inside my NZXT 200i case so had to keep the backside panel off to make it fit. The replacement is a Seasonic Focus GX 850 Gold.

MB: ASUS Rog Strix B450i
GPU: Asus 2080TI Turbo

whole thing is in an EKWB custom loop.

just found a post from 2018 about the seasonic focus lineup and black screen issues with high draw GPU’s. I don’t know when my PSU was built, but the described issue is 100% my current problem.
It only crashes to a black screen when gaming and only in higher intensity parts, if need be I will just rebuild the loop in a larger case so I can fit the 700 and ditch the modular give that one to the wife, that machines just running an old 1060 so nothing hi intensity there.

Last edited:
Giving a bit more info about your hardware would be helpful. Corsair makes more than one 850w that is rated for 80-Plus Platinum, so just saying "Corsair 850 Platinum" doesn't really tell us exactly which power supply you are talking about. What is the model of your 700w psu? What motherboard are you using?

Some PSUs use a single 12v rail. Some PSUs use multiple 12v rails. Some PSUs have a switch so you can choose between single or multiple rails. Which one applies to each of your 850s? If your PSU has multiple 12v rails, then depending on how it's hooked up, it's possible that you were overloading one of the rails instead of spreading out the load evenly.

When you test with the 850s, I'd try to run more specific tests. You claimed that it crashes whenever you start a game. Does it ONLY crash when starting a game, or does it crash in other situations that present a heavy load? If you ran Prime95 on your 3900X for example, that would use quite a bit of power even though it has nothing to do with the GPU. You could try furmark, which will stress your GPU even though it isn't a game. Trying to figure out exactly which circumstances cause a crash might help figure out exactly what the problem is. Do you have another videocard besides your 2080ti that you can swap in temporarily?

Why did you stop using the 700w btw? Is there anything actually wrong with it, or did you just replace it because of age? I'd look inside, and as long as it doesn't have bulging capacitors or any other obvious bad signs, then just stick it back in there and use it. Sell or return the 850s.
Found the problem, my case was venting almost all the heat out of the PSU so even though it wasn't close to being under load it was overheating. put it in a larger case changed up the fan's and it is doing much better now.

Back