Need help with my marantz sr8000/u1b. please

I picked up a marantz sr8000 for around 50 bucks. I know its not the newest of models but I think I Got a good deal on it. Any how I'm trying to get my home theater set up and I have absolutely zero experience in this field and needed some help to see if what I did is right and if anyone has any advice. So I have the sr8000/u1b and I have that hooked up to a 60" samsung model number ln55c63ok1f .I have a ps3 hooked up along with a sub by energyx ls10. I think is the model num. And I have 6 fifferent speakers 5 being sony and 3 being energy. I also did not get a remote control with my marantz unit. Also have directtv hooked up as well. Thanks in advance

I'm not really familiar with the stuff you got, but from what I can see the Marantz doesn't have HDMI on it. So I would just hook up all your modern components with HDMI (PS3,BluRay,DirectTV,etc) straight to the TV and then just loop the audio back out to the Marantz using the optical out on the TV.

I had my TV setup in a similar fashion a while back when I was using an old standalone usb soundcard as my ghetto surround sound setup using my Klipch PC speakers.

The only thing I would question on the setup without a remote is being able to go into the marantz settings and make sure all the crossover settings are set correctly for your speakers. Maybe you can do that without the remote. I dunno. The onkyo reciever I have now just has it all in an onscreen menu. Maybe it will sound just fine without any additional tinkering.

This really isn't the forum for this sort of post (sorry [H] but it's not). AVSforum would probably get you more replies. That's a really old Marantz receiver, probably close to 15 years old but it was a flagship model. The problem is you NEED the remote to setup the receiver. You can't do any tone adjustments (bass or treble), speaker setup (levels, crossovers, or subwoofer options), or digital input assignments (which is your pretty much your only option for Dolby Digital or DTS surround sound) without it. If you find a remote and you're not picky about having the lossless surround sound codecs or room correction software it'll be fine for years to come.

I did not know this was not the place for this type of question..

I only say that since [H]ardforum is mostly computer related stuff despite some audio video subforums like this one. AVSforum is entirely for audio and video.

Back