Need Help with my home wireless network

DoggyDaddi

Gawd
I have a nice Belkin N1+ (model F5D8231-4) Wireless Router upstairs for the upstairs PC, and laptop in the bedroom. Downstairs I'm in the middle of setting up my home theater, and need to know what kind of receiver I can look for to direct the signal?

My Onkyo TX-1007b has an ethernet input, as does my Sony KDL-40Z5100. My Sony BDP-S560 has wi-fi so I don't have to sweat that. I need to know what I should get to put a line in to the 1st two components I listed? I'm trying to find receiver style routers, but can't find anything that's actually doesn't need a solid line in from the cable first. I just want to grab the signal from the upstairs wi-fi router.

Any help please?

Try something like a Linksys WGA600N. It's basically a bridge.. Will take any WiFi and push it out it's ethernet port. Sorry Posting from cellphone.. no links.

Wireless Bridge and Wireless Distribution Service are two techs you can look into. Several 3rd party firmwares offer them, so if you have the budget go for a prebuilt device like MrkXCel suggests; otherwise look at Tomato & DD-WRT.

If you don't want to run ethernet, but wish for better speed/stability/load handling for your home theater than wireless can provide, look into MoCA or power over ethernet adapters.

If you don't want to run ethernet, but wish for better speed/stability/load handling for your home theater than wireless can provide, look into MoCA or power over ethernet adapters.

Ethernet over AC is flakey and requires that it all be on the same circuit which in most cases doesn't work. I would go the MoCA route myself. Netgear has a nice setup if you want to buy something new, or you can go to ebay and get a few old verizon actiontec's for like $20 each and do it that way.

Though you really can't beat laying Cat5/6 for GigE.

Back