Need help with mobo size

Dallows

Supreme [H]ardness
So I have a situation. I've come to realize that the current motherboard I have uh, asus m4a77td or something... in my lancool k58 case, is not utilizing the top 2 pci slots. Meaning this case has the psu mounted on the bottom, and it has I think 8 pci slots available to use. On my motherboard it doesn't use the top 2, which hurts me because I can't use very large video cards as they don't fit.

Does anyone know of a motherboard that would have my top pci-e slot utilize the top pci slot on the case? Here's the case in question:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112237

Thanks.

Alright, I understand your problem now. Ok first off, a m-atx board can have up to 4 slots, a standard atx board can have up to 7 slots. most atx boards skip the first slot or throw an pxie x1 slot there so they can use a larger heatsink for some of the components there, so very few atx boards with a full pcie x16 slot at the very top. With m-atx you will have many more choices for a pcie x16 at top. This m-atx mobo(GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-S2P) has the pci-e slot at the highest position and is quite cheap, unfortunately this board only has 2 dimm slots. The cheapest m-atx board with 4dimms and with the pcie x16 at the highest position is this msi 890GXM-G65. I only found two atx boards that actually have the x16 slot at the top slot, they are the MSI 890FXA-GD70 and the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD7, Both very pricey boards.

I say either cheap m-atx 2dimm and get large memory modules(2x4gb) Or mod and make your current rig work. You could even use an extension cable
$(KGrHqMOKpIE3tbWfed0BOGdTOdk9w~~_12.JPG

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the reply. This is bumming me out though. I have one or two things I could try without buying anything but I really, really don't want to take everything apart again. It's too time consuming.

Back