Need help with Linux folding network setup problems

racercarl

Limp Gawd
I had my folding farm setup using a router and a couple of hubs to hook to the internet, so the individual boxes could send and retrive work units from Stanford.

this consists of one windows box running ME and 11 boxes running SUSE 8.2 Linux. All were folding and this system has worked for months.

the Cable modem hooked to a Linksys router which was hooked up to the main two boxes that i work with, and the hubs and the other boxes. two weeks ago the farthest down the line boxes quit being able to connect to the internet. by the next day the second set of four boxes had quit accessing. then the two main boxes were the only things that could connect.

by friday night there was no access at all, spent all day saturday reconfiguring and replacing pieces and parts and nothing would work. working with the Cable One tech support got the one windows box to go on line.

However I could not get any other boxes to go online, nor could I use the router. And if I turned the Windows box off I had to reconfigure it to work every time i went back on.

Replaced the router and no luck, rewired and reconfigured and no luck, then the windows box refused access to go on line and cannot get it to talk to the modem.

Spent all day sunday getting this one box to reprogram and work on line, have spent the last week and a half trying to get the routers to work between the box and the modem.

if I hook it in then I can not get it to work, no matter what i tried, and the cable company is useless in helping as when I said Linux it said that it did not support Linux and all they could do is tell me that they could see the modem and that something was hooked to it

I have this box hooked to the modem and working. it is using a router card as eth0 and the rest of the system (except the windows box) is hooked into this card also.

How doI get the computer to act as a hub and allow the other boxes to use it to access the internet. I know very little about Linux and nothing about networks.

The software that came with the hub is for windows, but the linux setup found it by actual name and installed it, This card and the other card just like it worked and forwarded everything when I hooked them up originally and was no problem.

Now I can not get anything to forward at all.

PLEASE can someone give me the easy to follow instructions or point me to a site that a noobie can follow to get this working.

It's driving me nuts to know that the good boxes are sitting here doing nothing when there is work completed on them and more to be done and no way to communicate with the server.

i'm having a hard time imagining your network topography... can you elaborate? maybe a diagram?

sounds like with you connect one pc to the cable modem, everything is ok, but when you use a router, it gets fubared?

Correct. this is how set up was hooked

cable comes in to modem. modem hooked to Linksys 4 port router, box 1&2 are hooked directly to router, box 3 has router card and is hooked to linkys router. Box 4,5,6 are hooked to 3 at router card, box 7 has router card,and is hooked to Linksys router, box 8 &9 are hooked in at router card, a hub is also hooked to router card in 7 , box 10, 11, & 12 are hooked to hub.

Set up is this now, cable comes to modem, box 1 is hooked to modem, box 1 is a router card, box one has three out going lines.

line one goes to box 2 with router card, 2 is also hooked to 3, 4, & 5 via the card.

line two goes to hub and is hooked to box 6,7,8, &9.

line three goes to a switch and boxes 10, 11, and 12 are hooked to it.

Box 12 is now the windows box that is screwed due to to much trying to reconfigure with Cable one's help. it is out of the loop until fixed, that will take some time as it refuses to recover or reformat. and some of the data has to be kept until it can be totally recovered and moved to a safe location.

All of the other boxes have SUSE 8.2 on them, all but one have 2.5 gig hard drives, and are used strictly for folding,the other is a 80 gig and is the one i am trying to learn Linux on. It is the one that I can manually configure to be able to get past the modem. If I hook any other device to this modem it will not work, and using two routers i can not get the modem to allow connection.

The cable company can read the modem and if i hook up the linux box can tell something is hooked to it, but not what.

If i install a router, they can read the modem and that the router is hooked but not past the router. I can use this box and read the router and do a reset, but the acces is denied beyond it to the modem.

Cable one insists that there is nothing wrong with their system or equipment. I am tired of screwing with the equipment not communicating.

I have this box hooked up and working, the others are routed through it and if I knew how to set them up correctly this system will stay working,

What I need is someone to help with how to do that as I still do not really know why this one will work when none of the other boxes do.

how many actuall routers do you have on there? if you have more than one, you need to be sure that dhcp is turned off

Back