Need help with flash programming, NEC PG-FP4's and Audio Firmware

beautypc

BAD TRADER
Harman/Kardon AVR635 bricked last night during software upgrade over RS-232 serial connection.

Not much hope online suggesting any easy fix.

the only thing I have to go off of is this

AVR635 = UPD70F3033BGF, a NEC microcontroller with 256KB of flash memory.

NEC PG-FP4 flash programmer (not the minicube2). He did this by connecting the PG FP4 to the CSIO ports on teh chip (pins 97 to 99) and then uploading the HEX file of the firmware.

Someone suposedly had success using the NEC PG-FP4 to rewrite the memory and bring the receiver back to life..

I would like to know if anyone knows where I could find someone with experience with this?

Ive googled but doesn't seem to be a well documented topic.

Where do I go? Who should I be looking to talk to?

Please help me get lucky and bring my reciever to life?

Have you tried a local repair shop? They may be able to program the chip, or replace it with a pre-programmed one.

You might also have a chat with Harmon/Kardon -- they may have some suggestion, or be able to sell you the chip directly.

I remember using an old motherboard to program chips for something; don't recall what it was. We'd boot the machine up, pop out the BIOS chip and insert the new chip. Then use the bios flash utility to write the firmware to the chip.

Harman Kardon Service center suggests that it would be cheaper ($200) to replace it with another used unit.

I'm wondering if I can find a avr 635 with a working processor but a "dead something else" and swap it over, or have a shop do it if I obtain a 635 for parts..

The more I dig into this the more it breaks my heart that I may be setting my reciever on the curb sometime soon.

Back