Need help with DVI 40ft cable and a VGA card

Hiya guys

A friend of mine build a house and set up a home theater in the basement with a 106 and a LCD projector. His problem is that he ran a DVI cable from the equipment to the projector and there's no way to run a VGA one.

Is there a way to use a DVI to VGA adaptor with a female / female adaptor off of the vid card and then use one more DVI to VGA to plug into he back of the LCD projector?

Or if anyone else has any good ideas I would be very thankful for it.

Hella

PS I have already thought of getting a new vid card if my idea wont work. just looking for a cheap way to do this.

Isn't it much easier to put the computer near the projector and run a long audio cable instead?

pxc said:
Isn't it much easier to put the computer near the projector and run a long audio cable instead?

lol not in this room heres some pics of it

HPIM0591.jpg

HPIM0590.jpg

I dont think hes going to want a PC up there lol

Might as well buy a bunch of vga extension cables...because thats what a long DVI cable with a DVI to VGA adaptor is going to give you.I am surprised he went cheap and bought a projector without native DVI input. He must have gotten a model a few years older.

That looks awfully expensive...

why not just build a custom HTPC?

Silverstone case, an athlon64, gig o ram, good dvd rom drive, geforce 6600 (for pure video) and a samsung hdd. would be pretty sweet.

hes playing games with a card taht doesnt feature DVI? tahts gotta be pretty damn old..

what video card does he have currently? I agree that the best option should be to upgrade the video card.

The best solution is to upgrade the video card to feature DVI, hands down.

If he does not game often, the card can be had for cheap.

Does he have a 40 ft. DVI to DVI cable?

Those are expensive: ~$250

EDIT: With a cable that long, depending on your friend's equipment, he may need an amplifier.

[H]ella|[H]ard said:
Yeah the cable was ran when he build the house. I was just looking at Ebay can get a new vid card for 40-60

You do not even need E-Bay, the cards can be had for well under $100 new.

Back