Need help with deploying Win10 updates on home pc's due to limited data, and Anniversary update ?

JNavy89GT

[H]ard|Gawd
We're on 4G LTE/Verizon unlimited plan as our internet(only real option for us). Even tho it's "Unlimited' I guess now theyu are canceling acct's for going over 100GB per month, so I'm ultra paranoid now about exceeding this cap. I have 4 kids, and in total we have 9 pc's in our home, 8 of which run Win 10. With the recent anniversary update, it was going to be a 3+GB download for each of the Win10 pc's which would have been over 24+ GB of data just in windows updates. So I figured out how to put the updates on "hold" via metered connection. My question is if I download the win10 anniversary at work, and use the media creation tool, is that effectively a NEW OS being installed and keeping previous files similar to how computers updating from Win8.1 to 10? Is it possible to install onto a clean HD the Anniversary update using a Win10 key?

Also, in regards to future small weekly updates, I remember I could download Windows 7 and I believe 8.1 updates onto a usb stick and take them home to deploy. I haven't seen this with Win10 in my searches. Is it still possible to download these updates for Win10 to a memory device for multiple computer deployment?

Under advanced settings in windows update there is an option to 'choose how updates are delivered' which lets you turn on a P2P option (its on by default) including PC's on the same network which should reduce the amount of data downloaded, athough unless all the computers are on the whole time from when the first one starts downloading to when the last one is updated there might be some additional traffic, I don't know exactly how it works.

Other than that, setting the connection as metered should stop updates from being downloaded, but it looks like it's not straightforward on Ethernet although there are guides out there (not tried it myself).

An option that may work for you is to download the media creation utility and create an ISO and burn that ISO to DVD or a USB drive. Then just run the setup.exe from that on each PC. The only thing it will have to download is updates. You'll only download the 3GB file once.

Heck, if you have to, just head up to McDonalds or somewhere that gives free wifi and download the ISO that way.

If they advertise it as unlimited and then close your account for going over some arbitrary cap, sue them.

An option that may work for you is to download the media creation utility and create an ISO and burn that ISO to DVD or a USB drive. Then just run the setup.exe from that on each PC. The only thing it will have to download is updates. You'll only download the 3GB file once.

This will definitely work, the option of using Windows 10's mesh update delivery will PROBABLY work and I say probably because it requires your network to be set up correctly, with all devices aware of each other, and it's almost impossible to troubleshoot, like voodoo.

This will definitely work, the option of using Windows 10's mesh update delivery will PROBABLY work and I say probably because it requires your network to be set up correctly, with all devices aware of each other, and it's almost impossible to troubleshoot, like voodoo.
I've not seen anything posted online over the past year that really digs into how the mesh updating works. For all I know on his network each device would try to download the update separately.

Back