Need help with cutting a hole

jucestain

Weaksauce
I'm thinking about cutting some holes in my case to make room for a fan. I don't want the edges to be all sharp and stuff so I was wondering if anyone knows if they sell some kind of rubber sutff or something that can wrap around the edges to make it look nice and prevent it from being sharp. Thanks,

-Juce

You should be able to get some of that H molding from any hardware store.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j150/mstrmold/Case3.jpg

I wanted to do something like this^

It's called H molding? It's the orange rubber thing around the hole he cut.

-juce

I don't know the technical name for the stuff, but looking at that, it's not quite "H molding". Just look at the H, that's how the thing would look, split down the middle for two pieces to be joined (I assumed plexiglass).

Just go over to a hardware store and tell then what you need. "I need some kind of molding that'll wrap inside a round hole", or something.

Ahh.. Like to make a custom sized gromet. Lowes has different kinds of stuff like that.

Look at your local automotive part store for door edge molding. Same stuff they sell at the modding sites for a lot more money.

Get the flexible rubber-like stuff, not the hard plastic.

Look at your local automotive part store for door edge molding. Same stuff they sell at the modding sites for a lot more money.

Get the flexible rubber-like stuff, not the hard plastic.

Thats the ticket, what he said. I use that method all the time.

I don't want the edges to be all sharp and stuff

A little elbow grease and some files, grinding bits in a Dremel, different grits of sandpaper and such can make the edge clean and not sharp without moulding. That's another option. I think moulding looks ugly - YMMV.

Wow, thanks a bunch for the replies. I have a dremel at my house... Any tips on what bits I should use to cut a hole? Thanks a lot for the help. If the edges aren't clean or to my liking ill probably get edge molding.

My suggestion would be to use the reinforced disks to cut an octagon (8 sides). Then you can round it from there.

Using a disk for curves is generally a bad idea since they are not designed for lateral force. That is how disks wear quickly, or even break.

The reinforced disks look like this :
600426t.gif

Hey, by the way......that's not H molding you pictured, but C molding. My suggestion, if you ever want any, is to contact Best Byte. $0.45/foot, plus shipping, for basic black, but you wouldn't need more than a foot for a blowhole. Good store, decent price. :)

Back