Need help with bridging small office network

My office just moved to a bigger location, and we are having trouble with network connectivity.

Current layout:
Modem --- Wired-----> 2wire 5012NV ------wired/wireless----> PCs

The 2wire is at one end of the office, and PCs at the other end experience poor wireless connectivity.

I'm thinking of using a spare WRT54G2 in "bridged" mode, to extend the Ethernet, and wireless of the main router.

For wired bridging, I understand that that the WRT54G2 will do, is act as a "port multipler", where 1 port from the 2wire can be multiplied into 4. I also want the wrt54g2's wireless to extend the Ethernet connection (not extend the wireless connection).

New layout:
Modem --- Wired-----> 2wire 5012NV ------wired/wireless----> PCs
***************************************** -------wired----> WRT54G2 ------wired/wireless----> PCs

I'm wondering if this is possible?

You're better off getting a quality business grade router....and then running an access point off of it, locating that access point rather centralized in the office. Those 2Wire units...not worth dog doo-doo on the bottom of your shoe.

As a mid-way plan...leave the 2Wire gateway as your only NAT/router, and just disable the wireless off of it..and place an access point in the middle of your office.

Yea I know.. I'm surprised the ISP issued businesses the same shit 2wire that they issue to home plans. But busines plans costs many times more, and are much slower too.

Business is bad nowadays, and there are less than 10 employees. I'll see what I can do. If the WRT54G could work as a wireless AP it would be great. Then I'll place it in a good spot like you suggested. :)

Yea I know.. I'm surprised the ISP issued businesses the same shit 2wire that they issue to home plans. But busines plans costs many times more, and are much slower too.

Yup...I can't stand those things....funky web management, it's like they were designed on a totally different planet. And the performance outright stinks!

The only semi cool feature they have, is they can do port forwarding by netbios name....so you don't need to assign static LAN IPs to do port forwarding, they will resolve by name.

Just yesterday a friend of mine called me to his house, they went from DSL to UVerse...so the 2Wire unit was swapped out. He and his wife have 7 computers (they both run businesses out of their house)..6 of the computers got on the new 2Wire fine (all wireless)..but the 7th one..a little Acer One netbook...would not. Yet it would latch onto other wireless networks just fine...I even took it home to my house, got on my wireless just fine, gets on his MiFi 2200 just fine, neighbors just fine. Yet it won't latch onto his new 2Wire. Of course this netbook has an Atheros wireless chipset too..don't get me started on those...I hate those Atheros wireless cards almost as much as 2Wires...whenever I have a wonky problem with wireless...99% of the time it's with an Atheros wireless client.

Haha. It always sucks to be the "IT guy". Then again, being the IT guy lets your learn a lot of things. I played around with the WRT54G2 at home. Turned off DHCP, and configured the wireless. Connected to the 2Wire I have at home. It works perfect.

Back