Need Help with Basic Home PC Build (Budget: $400-$600 USD)

njcarlos

n00b
Hi all,

Happy New Year :)

I wanted to start by saying that the previous build that everyone helped with has been running great, and I've really enjoyed it. Thanks for all the help!

I'm back for any help I can get on another build. This time for my girlfriend who isn't using it for work, mostly leisure, so it isn't necessarily as high-end and resource intensive as my last build. I've recycled some of the info that I could from my last thread but if I missed anything please don't hesitate to let me know and I'll clarify.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

• Some light graphic design with Photoshop
  • A lot of web browsing (heavily multi-tabbed), and a lot of multi-tasking (text editing, Skype, Pidgin, etc).
  • The PC will see a lot of up-time (virtually 24/7). It'll be "actively" in-use on average 4-6 hours per day.
  • The room is climate controlled most of the year, but I'd really like it to avoid the damage of heat... so a nice cool running build is ideal.
  • Probably will start with 1 monitor but ability to expand to 2 would be nice.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

• $400-$600 tax & shipping not included, not set in stone so if something requires it go outside of the range it's ok. I would prefer hardware that's not exactly out-dated or soon to be out-dated but doesn't have to be bleeding edge either. What I'm looking for is basically reliable parts of good quality, reputation for long life, a good warranty, and a build that runs cool.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

• Kearny, NJ, USA

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

• To avoid saying everything, I guess the necessary components would be: Case, PSU, CPU, MOBO, RAM, Graphics/Video Card, Sound Card, Hard Drive, Speakers, Monitors, Network Interface Card, Wi-Fi, USB, Modem. If I missed something, take the liberty to correct it...
  • I realize that the monitor will probably be fairly expensive. I'm not sure on the size I'll be getting, but it'll be anywhere from 24-27" ...if the build could accommodate multiple monitors of this size, feel free to skip listing this part, as I think I can at least handle that part.
  • Side note: I'm looking for a complete build, so I hope I've listed everything. If you have a suggestion or correction, I sincerely urge you to throw it out there for me. I'll really appreciate it.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

• I'll be re-using some Hard Drives. All Western Digital SATA I believe, but they'll be for secondary storage since I don't suspect they'll last another 5 years.
  • I'll be using a Corsair Force GT (120GB/SATA3/555MBps read/515MBps write) SSD to run the OS.

6) Will you be overclocking?

• No

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

• I'll be getting new monitor(s), so I'm not really sure. I'm looking to get in the 24-27" range in size, but this isn't as important to me as the core components. If it matters a great deal for the video card, please let me know). Right now I run my resolution at 1152x864 on a 19" DELL LCD.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

• Plan to buy & build as soon as possible.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.

• USB3, SATA 6GB/s, eSATA would be all great. I'm not really sure if I'll need onboard video, so this could be left to your discretion. I'm not entirely familiar with other MOBO features so take some liberty in this area.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

• Will probably purchase Windows 7 64bit or run Linux Mint.

Some added notes:

• I'd like a case and a MOBO that would allow for expanding to more hard drives. At this point I'd like to run 4 (including the OS/primary HDD which might or might not be SSD...depending on your insight).
  • I'd like the case to not be excessively large or extreme in appearance (neon, etc). Something with decent space, well organized, good airflow, and still remaining as compact in size as possible would be ideal.
  • Like I mentioned earlier, some things like the case, monitors and speakers aren't as important to me as a quality core computer. So this is where I'd really love the focus to be.

Is the monitor part of the budget?

I was thinking so. :\

Think that'll seriously limit the quality of the build? Ideally I'd hope this PC would last ~5-10 years. Would hate to skimp on the $ if it'd turn out to get sub-par hardware. If it were to creep up to $700ish that'd be ok I suppose.

How long is the drive to this Microcenter for you?:
http://www.microcenter.com/site/stores/north-jersey.aspx

Is the cost of Windows 7 part of that $600 budget?

Has your girlfriend actually used Linux Mint before? Or any Linux distro for that matter.
The drive is 15-20 minutes. Does the budget include Win7... hm, no I guess not. I think that'd probably compromise a decent build that'll last several years? Not sure if it does but I'll err on the side of caution... nah don't include it. Regarding her ever using Linux: no, but with any GUI similar to Win I'm sure she'll be fine. I don't think the learning curve will be any worse than adjusting to Win8 if I were to go that route. I don't foresee her needing to do anything from the terminal and if she does I can walk her through it and she'll learn just as well (which is for the better). She's not computer illiterate but not a power user either, but I'll be around to help her along if necessary.

Go for this then:
$180 - Intel Core i3-4340 CPU + MSI Z87-G41 PC MATE Intel Z87 ATX Motherboard Microcenter combo
$70 - Kingston HyperX Blu KHX1600C10D3B1/8G 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
$60 - Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$21 - Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD Burner
$48 - Corsair 430CX V2 430W PSU
$50 - NZXT Source 220 Black ATX Case
$158 - Asus VS247H-P Black 23.6" LCD Monitor
$35 - Logitech Z313 Speaker System
----
Total: $622 shipped plus tax

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Would it be worth it to go for one of those i5's instead? Also, what changes would you make if you didn't account for the speakers, case & burner? Sorry don't mean to be a pain in the ass.

Btw, how do ya'll do this (seemingly) so effortlessly? :x

Last edited:
Would it be worth it to go for one of those i5's instead? Also, what changes would you make if you didn't account for the speakers, case & burner? Sorry don't mean to be a pain in the ass.
Not worth going for the i5 unless your GF is planning on doing a ton of gaming, video editing, extensive amounts of photoshop, and/or 3D rendering. The only real changes I would make is to upgrade the HDD to the Seagate 2TB and the PSU to the Seasonic 360W. Yes 360W. Still more than enough for your GF's needs and the Seasonic is of significantly higher quality than the Corsair.

Now that begs the question: What case would you be reusing?
Btw, how do ya'll do this (seemingly) so effortlessly? :x
Years of deal-hunting and helping people on this forum with their builds.

Not worth going for the i5 unless your GF is planning on doing a ton of gaming, video editing, extensive amounts of photoshop, and/or 3D rendering. The only real changes I would make is to upgrade the HDD to the Seagate 2TB and the PSU to the Seasonic 360W. Yes 360W. Still more than enough for your GF's needs and the Seasonic is of significantly higher quality than the Corsair.
Awesome, that's good to know. As long as it's snappy enough for her needs that's all that matters. And indeed I might go for that Seasonic PSU you mentioned. Instead of going for 2TB I might get 2x1TB. Do you happen to know how much room I have to play w/ in terms of power? Just out of curiousity, as I'm sure in addition to that 1 HDD I might toss in some additional fans or some other media drive. There'd be enough that doing that wouldn't compromise the stability huh?

Now that begs the question: What case would you be reusing?
I wouldn't be re-using one but, I suspect she'll probably want something more "girly" or with red LEDs, something superficial like that. Didn't really occur to me at first.

Years of deal-hunting and helping people on this forum with their builds.
Pretty impressive. Is there a way to donate to the forum?

Awesome, that's good to know. As long as it's snappy enough for her needs that's all that matters. And indeed I might go for that Seasonic PSU you mentioned. Instead of going for 2TB I might get 2x1TB. Do you happen to know how much room I have to play w/ in terms of power? Just out of curiousity, as I'm sure in addition to that 1 HDD I might toss in some additional fans or some other media drive. There'd be enough that doing that wouldn't compromise the stability huh?
Nope, no instability at all. You still have lots of room to play with in terms of power. Probably won't use more than 150W to 200W at most under full load.

Also, why 2 x 1TB? Not exactly cost-effective since 2TB drives are cheaper than that and you can get a 3TB drive for about the same price.
I wouldn't be re-using one but, I suspect she'll probably want something more "girly" or with red LEDs, something superficial like that. Didn't really occur to me at first.
Hmmmm...generaly cases that are rather "superficial" aren't good cases for the money. In other words, go on Newegg and have her choose cases she likes. Make sure that the cases don't come with a PSU. The PSU in those cases are generally pretty shitty and/or overpriced. Here cases that are my personal favorites:
$60 - Corsair Carbide Series 200R ATX Case
$75 - Corsair Carbide Series 300R ATX Case
$90 - Corsair Carbide Series 400R ATX Case
$100 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK White Full Tower ATX Case
$100 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Full Tower ATX Case
$110 - Antec 1100 ATX Case
$110 - Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Arctic White ATX Case
$120 - Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Gunmetal Black ATX Case
$120 - Corsair Carbide Series 500R ATX Case
$130 - NZXT Phantom 530 Black Full Tower ATX Case
$144 - Silverstone RV03B-W ATX case
$144 - Silverstone RV03B-WA ATX case
$150 - Corsair Graphite Series 600TM ATX Case
$160 - Corsair Obsidian Series 750D ATX Case
$160 - Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T ATX Case
$170 - Corsair Obsidian Series 650D ATX Case
$170 - NZXT Phantom 630 Gunmetal Full Tower ATX Case
$170 - NZXT Phantom 630 White Full Tower ATX Case
$230 - Silverstone FT02B-USB3.0 ATX Case
$250 - Silverstone FT02S-W-USB3.0 ATX Case
$245 - Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW ATX Case

Pretty impressive. Is there a way to donate to the forum?
Just buy through the Amazon.com links I posted. HardOCP gets a small commission off each purchase.

well she went through newegg and those were the cases she liked. Do you have a recommendation for a different site to go through? Chances are if I can just find a decent looking case that I could deck out with some red LED's it would be fine

Does she like those cases due to their design or because they have red LEDs?

NewEgg has a better assortment of cases than Amazon.

Last edited:
I think it's the LED's more than the design. I just looked up how to add LED's to a case so I'm going to have her go back through and see if there is something without LED's that she likes. She just doesn't want a futuristic design

I think it's the LED's more than the design. I just looked up how to add LED's to a case so I'm going to have her go back through and see if there is something without LED's that she likes. She just doesn't want a futuristic design
Hopefully she finds something. None of the cases you've linked are cases that I would recommend to other computer hardware enthusiasts let alone the general public.

Okay so, she went through mid towers and came up w/ these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811121120
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119289
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811553003
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139026

Picked up the processor & mobo from Micro Center today, a bit cheaper than advertised. First time even learning about it, reminds me of the old CompUSA but better; will be visiting it often :D

Also, what do you think of swapping out the Kingston RAM for (not a fan of Kingston):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231486

I'm also a bit nervous about the PSU, since at some point she might need a graphics card and I'm sure we'll be adding more HDDs, and who knows how many external devices might end up being powered by USB. Would any of these be OK? I'm finding some additional savings here and there so it's not like I'm moving the budget a whole lot.

http://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-S12I...=UTF8&qid=1389500750&sr=1-7&keywords=Seasonic

http://www.amazon.com/SeaSonic-550-...=UTF8&qid=1389500750&sr=1-2&keywords=Seasonic

Last edited:
Overpriuced for what it is. No cable management ports, no easy-HDD or ODD installation brackets, virtually no space behind the motherboard to hide cables, and only one fan.

This is not a bad deal since it comes with a $50 liquid cooling system. So $80 for this case is a reasonable price. Only complaint I have is that I wish it had a little more space between the cable management holes and the 3.5"/5.25" bays
Same issues as the HEC case but worse.

No go IMO since it only comes with a single 120mm fan. Just for comparison, the NZXT Source 210 and Source 220 cases comes with one 120mm fan and a 140mm fan. Also, that Cougar case has less space behind the motherboard than the two NZXT cases I listed.

I generally like a lot of Corsair's cases but this one just seems kinda ugly to me. Though it is a solid case:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013...s_230t_compact_midtower_review/1#.UtIfB_T_yoI

Also, what do you think of swapping out the Kingston RAM for:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231486

Go for it if you can afford the higher costs.
I'm also a bit nervous about the PSU, since at some point she might need a graphics card and I'm sure we'll be adding more HDDs, and who knows how many external devices might end up being powered by USB. Would any of these be OK? I'm finding some additional savings here and there so it's not like I'm moving the budget a whole lot.

http://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-S12I...=UTF8&qid=1389500750&sr=1-7&keywords=Seasonic
This particular Seasonic is an older design that's probably still good but I'd go with a more up-to-date platform.
Very good PSU though I highly doubt you'll need that much power. But still, if you can afford it, go for it.

How about this power supply? 500W Bronze and modular, which means fewer cables cluttering up the case. :D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139050
A bit overpriced for the performance and quality you're getting. Plus only a handful of the cables are actually modular and those cables happen to be the ones you're going to need.

Since when does red LED's = girly case?:(
Time to change my setup...

Good advice in this thread. Only thing I can add is whether 16gb of ram is really needed. The original recommendation from Dangman was for 8gb.
I just went from 8gb to 16gb on my gaming and media rig, and came to the conclusion I wasted a ton of money. 8gb should be plenty for 90% of users.

Good advice in this thread. Only thing I can add is whether 16gb of ram is really needed. The original recommendation from Dangman was for 8gb.
I just went from 8gb to 16gb on my gaming and media rig, and came to the conclusion I wasted a ton of money. 8gb should be plenty for 90% of users.

Photoshop does benefit from more RAM. In this case, 16GB is a good consideration.

As for your use, have you tried using a RAM disk before?

Since when does red LED's = girly case?:(
LOL :D I wouldn't sweat it, I guess it's not really girly per say, it's just her favorite color. I guess some might think it's girly but idk.

IMO it's too expensive for DDR3 1333 RAM:

$125 - Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8GB DDR3 1333 kit

You could even find DDR3 1600 RAM for less:

$135 - Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8GB DDR3 1600 kit

(... But DDR3 1600 RAM isn't needed as you're not overclocking anything. Well, not with the i3-4340....)
I really like Crucial but so it's a toss up. At the moment I think I'm going to spring the extra $20-25 for the G.SKILL. I really do like Crucial's products though so I'm a bit torn. I'm running G.SKILL personally, moved from Crucial, and have enjoyed their performance though.

Very good PSU though I highly doubt you'll need that much power. But still, if you can afford it, go for it.
Thank you for the advice, I'm gunna spring it.

As for your use, have you tried using a RAM disk before?
That looks pretty interesting but I can't find any "about" section to get more details on how it works/what it is... will have to Google it in a minute.

So we've pretty much settled on the following:

$99.99 - Cooler Master CM 690 III - Mid Tower Computer Case with Seidon 120V Water Cooling System
$59.99 - WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache - WD10EZEX
$20.80 - Lite-On Super AllWrite 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive - Bulk - IHAS124-04 (Black)
$119.99 - Asus VS247H-P 23.6-Inch Full-HD LED-Lit LCD Monitor
$34.99 - Logitech Z313 Speaker System
$85.99 - SeaSonic G Series 550-Watt ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply SSR-550RM
$149.99 - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

So should come to around $770-$800 (incl. processor & motherboard) when it's all said and done.

All good? Already bought the processor/mobo but any last words/thoughts? (Also, are these links I'm posting going to give HD.com a commission, at Amazon at least? Or do I need to append something else to the URLs?)

In any case I'll take some pics when it's all done hehe

Thank you to Dangman, tiraides, Darksword & Bad ConNecTioN and anyone else I might have mistakenly missed. I really do appreciate all help/advice, can't really express it enough. Ya'll are doing a great thing here.

Go with Tiraides' RAM recommendation. It's far better than the G.Skill RAM. I own G.Skill RAM and I'm telling you to get Crucial. That should say something.

Back