Need help with a Craigslist buying decision

There is someone with a GTX 1060 for a fair price (ASUS Turbo model which only comes in 6gb). The only thing is he or she does not have any pictures with it in a pc and running which is what I'd want. Seems they are parting out the system and have sold their mobo already.

Is there any way to protect myself? Obviously I can't offer half now and half when I verify it works because as a seller I'd never do that either.

take a box with you, with the nvidia drivers sitting on the desktop to install?

This.

Your only protection is if you yourself test the card out before leaving the meetup. If you pay for the card, leave, and find out there are issues with it? You're fucked.

This, I've actually done it before. Met up in public but had a pretty hefty inverter in my SUV.

I've done this as the seller to give assurance the product worked. Sold some iMacs.

For good measure you should put furmark on there, ya know for science.

Yeah I don't have a full spare system, monitor etc to take with me. Or a way to power it.

The guy is definitely parting his system he has a case, PSU, RAM etc on CL as well. RAM is priced really well too.

Last edited:
Yeah when it comes to CL buys, I take it with a grain of salt. Unless there's a way to see the item operational or a way to test it to be sure it works, I would be leary of it. I would save the money and go for a refurbished from a reputable source or grab one from the FS/FT section here.
If the price is too good to be true, then it is. I don't care if the seller gives me a guarantee, that don't mean shit when I walk away with it untested.

Good advice guys and I'm going with that. I offered to take a PC to his house or he could bring the goods to mine and we could test. Haven't heard back yet.

Back